WEB out-of-state developer - how do i protect myself?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by filho do deus, Nov 3, 2009.

1. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

I have found someone interested in developing my website, however he lives out of state. He will provide development, hosting and graphic design. I will provide money ($3-$5,000) for incorporation, marketing, etc. (I would also like to do everything else as well including accounting, legal, sales, day-to-day duties of managing a successful corporation, but we havent talked about that)

INFO:
    His name is Brian Holt. His email is [email protected] (the website is down but his email works)

I found him on reddit, here is a link to the post. http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/a08me/have_an_idea_for_a_website_lets_do_it_together/

I have searched google, and I see all these blogs advertising his services, saying hes a millionaire, but it also appears he pays them ~5 dollars to write it. Besides the blogspam I couldnt find anything else out about him.

How do I protect myself? I have frequently flyer miles I could use to meet him.

2. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

pass

Dude has only been on reddit for a single day.

That is his one and only thread.

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

4. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

I asked for his facebook and a link to another community where he has a history. I will google-fu his whois info

5. redna

redna New Member

http://candidreviews4u.com/2009/07/10/venaltech-com-social-media-marketing/comment-page-1/

Interesting that he picked the developer side and not the money side...

6. redna

redna New Member

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

I don't mean to be a dick but if he is a millionaire I doubt he would be pursuing 3-5k website jobs. Just a thought.

8. filho do deus

filho do deus New Member

Not a dick at all. That is a legit concern.
    Here's my email exchange with him:
    me:

Brian, So here are my thoughts: You sound exactly like what I am looking for.

I am also concerned with protecting us both from being/feeling like one of us was ripped off. What precautions can we take to ensure this does not happen?

After I explain the idea further, if you like it, I would like to fly to Boston to meet you.

I also want to be as hands on as possible. This means creating the company, meeting with accountants, making sales, marketing, attending fashion conferences/events, etc.

I am very interested in developing a business relationship with you. Do you have facebook? My FB email is _________ . please add me. Can you provide me with your alias at any other communities? (your reddit alias is very new)

him:

We can establish an S-corporation and distribute the stock just like a public corporation does it, except it's not on the stock exchange. The amount of stock we start off with with be based on whatever percentage agreement we come up with. The bank account will be in the companies name and require both of our authorization for transactions over a set dollar amount. It's pretty safe to have a partnership these days because of the various systems.

If we go forward with this, I don't mind if you fly out to meet me. I like that you want to be hands-on. I would want you to be involved as much as possible, so that we are both giving it our all.

I added you on Facebook, but don't get the wrong idea with the pictures-- you'll see me with some pretty expensive cars(Bentley, corvette, etc.) from when my websites were making big money, but I'm actually not rich anymore. I sold my websites a few years ago, stopped working and just enjoyed the money for a while and now I'm looking for the right idea to get back into the business.

Facebook is pretty much the only community I'm involved with. I find most sites like Reddit / Digg / Forums are too distracting because they are too good. I have an account on thousands of websites but it's just to fulfull my programmer / designer curiosity.

If I end up liking your idea and we go forward with this, to make this a fair deal, as you mentioned before, you should be involved as much as possible with the events/marketing/etc. but also I will need you to fund a business account and allow me to put my basic monthly expenses taken care of cell phone, car insurance, etc. I don't mind an equity-only partnership like this, but I'm going to have to dedicate 10-15 hours a day to the various stages of development.. possibly more if it expands rapidly, and it would be nice to have my basic expenses taken care of just until we get start making some money. You will be able to keep your regular job during the development and early stages of this, which I won't be able to do, I will have to put all of my other stuff and regular job on the back burner.

I'm not sure of your financial situation but I just wanted to put that out there and see your thoughts on it. Let me know what you think. I think we can do this with minimal expenses but there are certain unavoidables. It would be great to know the full scope of the idea and what kind of numbers we have to work with (if you're a full time student, no job, for example, this may not even be possible.)

9. Mikenotmike

Mikenotmike

He wants you to pay his cellphone and insurance while he builds the site?

10. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

:rofl: I hope you're not seriously considering using this guy.

After the first post alone, and ignoring the rest of the stuff dug up, i'd already not give him a single cent.

Steer clear dude, the guy sounds dodgy as fuck.

11. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

And extra :rofl:'s at him wanting his expenses taken care of... hardcore scammer at work.

12. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

At the slightest thought of doubt you should pass.

Don't trust developers, they are a shady bunch.

13. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

so you are going to pay him for the work, and pay his bills?

can his mommy drive you back to the airport after the meet and greet/pancake breakfast?

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

*company's president.

Interesting that he picked the fail at grammar side and not the smart side...

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Since when did that require forming corporations?

Or paying cell phone bills?

16. redna

redna New Member

He didn't write the review... that other site did. :uh:

17. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Haha it would be nice to have my expenses taken care of.....

Holy shit. this is how scammers keep on scamming. its easy to make myself look like an internet millionaire.. seriously.

18. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Troll him along :bowdown: