GUN out of spec AR lower?? help!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

Ive got a Spike's Tactical AR lower receiver that i bought from them at the last gunshow brand new. Just this week i receiver a tangodown pistolgrip and a VLTOR carbine stock for it and tonite i tried slipping the grip onto the lower and it wouldnt go on at all. I tried sliding it on a couple of different ways and it just would not slide on. Just to see if it was the grip that was the culprit i tried the A2 grip i took off my bushmaster a while ago and the same results occured. I took a look at the dimensions of the space in the grip where it accepts the lower and the width of the lowers "tang" and they dont seem to be the same. quite frankly im a little shocked and confused. Is it possible that the lower maker machined that part of the lower to the wrong size?
    Anybody that has a spikes tactical rifle or a lower from them please chime in! everybody else, try to help me out here cuz im stumped

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Tango Down's plastics are incredibly tight. Just pound it on with a mallet and then screw it down tight, or file some of the grip away.

3. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

with a sharp pocket knife or exacto knife,trim back at apporox 45 degrees a small amount of material on the inside grip pockat at this radius.the radius is the area between the horizonal and vertical surface of the grip pocket.this slight trim will allow you to push the grip on the reciever.the grip walls should flex enough to allow installation.

i got an email from tangodown awhile ago when my friend was having probs installing one and thats what they said to do.ya could shoot them an email and say what they have to say

4. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

ok ill make a note to give that a try. I did however shoot an email to Spike and he responded saying that if i wanted i could bring the lower and grip to his shop and he'll personally put it on for me.

What i still dont get is why even my standard A2 grip didnt go on either. I have a hogue pistolgrip on my bushy that went on with no problem at all. Seems like it should all be pretty standardized stuff.

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I had some trouble with mine at first. I just got the back in first then kind of swung it up the rest of the way.