Out of Office Messages

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Dec 15, 2006.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

This sounds silly but damned if I know how to do this...

How do you set someone else's out of office message? The only way I know is to either log into their computer as them (either with their password or reset their password), or log into the webmail and do it from there (again with their password or a reset password).

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If it's outlook/exchange you can create a new outlook profile on your machine but put in their account info. That would allow you to open their mailbox and set the Out of Office. Of course, your user account must have rights to their mailbox to do this.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah that was the third option but his exchange server isn't on the same LAN as me - didn't want to eat up bandwidth just for something that should have been done before he left for the day. Or could be done from home by himself...

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Gotta be OWA. If you have rights to his mailbox or his username/pass, it takes about 30 seconds in OWA.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

Yup - already mentioned that possibility.

Seems strange that you can delegate someone else to read and respond to your email but only you can set your away message.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

That's not the problem. If you are delagated control of the mailbox you can set the out of office. The problem is that you can only set the OoO message for the main mailbox in the outlook profile you are using. We have the same problem were I work. We have a common mailbox for our group that we are all delegated rights to and we use an autoresponder to respond when anyone emails the box. To make changes to the rule that processes the autoresponder we have to close outlook and reopen it with an outlook profile that has the group mailbox account as the primary mailbox.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Right - but you can respond to people's emails that aren't your primary mailbox without having to close down outlook and start up a different profile - why not set the OoO setting? That's why I think it's strange - probably not a big deal for a secretary/boss because it's only one profile, but for IT we get that request all the time (which pisses me off since we spend time teaching people how to do these basic functions themselves...)

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It's because when you open another mailbox under your profile, it's under your profile. Things like Rules, OoO, and other preferences are saved under the profile, not the mailbox (even when they are saved to the server). When you open a second mailbox that's all you are opening, just the mailbox.

I agree it's annoying but d'ems da' breaks.