Out of Network Clause in Cingular Contract

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YelloWRX, Aug 30, 2004.

1. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

I just got my wife a V600 with a 2 year Cingular contract. I understand the prorated early termination fee. The dealer made me sign paperwork saying I agree to cover the total cost of the phone if we cancel early (I got the V600 for $150).

There was a clause in the contract that said that Cingular reserves the right to terminate the agreement if more than 50% of the airtime is used on other than Cingular towers (It's a nation wide no roaming contract).

I've heard of this happening to some people, but don't know the specifics...

My question is, We might be moving next year to an area in which a local GSM company owns the towers (This I already know for a fact)...So we would be placing most of the calls on non-Cingular towers and not incur roaming. This would fit the clause that would allow Cingular to terminate service...(Since they would be charged usage but not be able to pass that on to us) If Cingular does this, fine...but what about the agreement with the phone store itself? Would we then be liable for the full price of the phone is the company terminated the contract?

Any help is appreciated...

2. YelloWRX

Anyone?

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you could cancel your phone through cingular and the dealer would never know about it.

4. YelloWRX

You sure? The guy made me sign something saying I would cover the total msrp of the phone if I ended the contract early.

But yea, I thought that's what the early termination fee is for... If Cing ended the contract b/c I roamed too much, I wouldn't be liable for anything, right?