GUN Out for a with walk teh dog and found live WWII gernades

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bobalu, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090608/od_afp/germanyusanimalswwiioffbeat

Look what the dog brought in: US hand grenade

Mon Jun 8, 10:49 am ET
    BERLIN (AFP) – A dog out on a walk happened upon a live US grenade from World War II and eagerly delivered it to his master, police said Monday, but authorities were able to defuse the explosive before it went off.
    A 40-year-old woman had let the dog off its leash near a stream on a walk Sunday on the outskirts of the town of Erkrath in western Germany's Neander Valley.
    The animal found the grenade on the ground, picked it up in its jaws and trotted back to its owner.
    "She recognised immediately that it was probably an old, rusted hand grenade," police said. "On the orders of the woman, the dog obediently put his find back next to the stream."
    She then alerted the authorities who blocked off the area and dispatched a munitions expert who identified the object as a still live American hand grenade from World War II and defused it.
    Germany is still littered with unexploded Allied munitions more than six decades after the war, leading frequently to major evacuations when they are discovered in densely populated areas.

what a treasure :bowdown: too bad she turned them in you never know when you could something like those :hsd:

2. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I got an F in high school honors chemistry. Mostly because my Jewish teacher decided to be spiteful when I tried to get him to change my C+ to a B-.

Anyway, I thought that stabilizers used in explosives degrade over time, leading them to become temperature and shock sensitive.

It's not like explosives in WW2 were state of the art either.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I worked with a guy who grew up in Austria in the '70s. He said they used to play in the woods around piles of munitions that were just thrown into heaps.

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

in dynamite, I think it is, that's true--the reactive agents (nitroglycerin) separate from the stabilizers over time, and crystalize once separated. There are old gold mines in the Western states with dynamite still in there, and the stuff could be detonated by trying to move it. It's essentially degraded into solid, crystallized nitroglycerin, which as y'all know is incredibly unstable.

However, old grenades were charged with, IIRC, Composition B. Comp B, according to Wikipedia, is a mix of RDX and TNT. Also according to Wiki, RDX is "stable in storage," meaning it probably won't degrade the way classic Dynamite would. Wiki doesn't mention whether TNT degrades, just that it's rather poisonous when in direct bodily contact.

I'd be most concerned about the actual primer/cap firing mechanism going sour, or the cotter pin getting all fragile. No idea if the drive spring would rust solid or what, though.

Better safe than sorry, I guess :dunno:

At least it says they defused it, not that they destroyed it.