Ouch! My back.....

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

About 5 months ago I hurt my lower back right around my tailbone. Not sure how I did it (I think maybe good mornings) but I didn't feel it until the next day. It hurt on and off for about 4 months and then this last month it has been feeling ok with only slight pain.
    So last night I head to the gym and start doing squats. I throw on 315 for a set of 10 (after 2 warm ups) and my back is kinda hurting mid-set. I am fucking idiot and decided to push through the pain and on my last rep I messed something up big time!

I was barely able to rack the weight because of the pain. I went to the doctor today and he said he thinks I pulled a muscle in my lower lumbar and that it is tensing up and spasm-ing which is putting pressure on the muscles and causes inflamation which is also causing my nerves to be bothered.
    He told me to take some meds he gave me and take it easy for a while and it should be gone in a couple weeks.

The problem is that the first time I hurt my back it tooks months for it to feel better and it never actaully fully healed. I am just worried that I slipped a disk or something and waiting to see if the pain goes away is just going to make it worse.

Should I take the doctors advice and take the meds (a steriod and anti-inflamatory) and just wait it out and hope it heals itself, or should I get a second opinion and make them give me an MRI to make sure its not a slipped disk?

Doctor said I am strong, healthy and in good shape and slipping a disk is not likely from good mornings or squats.

Can anyone give some input here please.

Thanks

2. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

i'd do what the doc says...if it doesn't get any better then get a second opinion...either way you're gonna be out for awhile.

3. LanceUppercut

LanceUppercut New Member

did you just say "ouch"?

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

if something hurts for 4 months that probably means you shouldn't be squatting.... especially if its an area as fragile as your lower back.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

It hurt, but the pain was progressively subsiding. So when I did squats yesterday it was not hurting until about halfway through my set. Like I said, I was stupid and probably should have stayed away from squats until I knew for sure I was 100% healed. I didn't do that and now I am paying for it.

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

ah.

Yeah lumbar pain is a bitch

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

if people suggested something different on this board would you follow that advice and ignore the MD?
    Take care of your back, listen to the Dr.

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

No, not at all.

I was just looking for people who have had experience with this and if they had any input. My concern to be addressed was really more-so if I should get a second opinion to see if it might be a slipped disk, or if I should just stick with the doctors strained lower-lumbar theory.

Either way, I am going to take the prescribed meds and see how it feels. I def. will not be squating or doing deads for a very long time.... I will also probably have to take bent rows out of my back workout :(
    I hope losing these will not affect me that much. I guess I will just have to get creative or something.

9. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I messed up my back doing deadlifts (sumo now I do them conventional thank god) and I was trying to pull 405 at the time and I got it off the ground and mid rep I hear this pop in my lower back and I drop the weight. Needless to say I couldn't do anything that involved my back for 2 weeks and stayed off of it for 3 weeks.

My best advice is to just stay off of it as long as you can. Eat a lot and get lots of rest. You'll heal faster, that is if its not too major of an injury.

GL

10. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

It sounds like we have the same problem. I've gotten x-rays taken and nothing has shown up so I think I need to get an MRI done. Squats, deadlifts, front squats, and rows all put me in pain. I did front squats today and the pain now isn't very pleasant. I think I need to go back to the doctor.

11. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I curved my back learning how to do OLY squats around 4 months ago. It's still not 100% and my DL hasn't increased since :cry:

12. FunkJunkie

FunkJunkie New Member

You're very lucky, having back problems is one of the worst things in the world. Just do exactly as your doctor tells you and take it really easy when you start squatting again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.