OT's opinion of a 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by scudhacks, Sep 10, 2004.

1. scudhacks

scudhacks Guest

Does it look like a girlie car or a car a mid-aged white hair fat guy with a 18 year old chick in the passenger side would drive?

I'm thinking about getting one and someone made some comment about it looking girlie. I know I shouldnt give a fuck what people think but I would like opinions. All the chicks I've showed it get all giggly and ask me to let them ride when I get it. The only type of people I see driving these things are the middle aged fat guys with white hair. I know the Z3 doesnt have that much power compared to M roadster or the Coupe but those are about 5-7k over my price range. 97 Z3 roadster is topping off around 15K, which is right there for me. I mean if I was getting a Mazda Miata, then yeah....b/c thats girlie as fuck but its a bimmer! My opinion of Mustangs and Eclispes are that they look feminine to me and I see alot more girls driving those then Z3s. Good friend of mine into the whole HP of a car and rice of it thinks the Z3 is girlie but then also said I should get a M roadster b/c of the HP. So....its like a biased opinion because he into the whole HP of a car.

I mean.....James Bond drove a Z3 in GoldenEye for fuck sakes, how is that girlie?

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Unless it's the M Roadster, it quite frankly is a girls car.

Christ, if I remember rightly the Z3 uses chassis elements off the E30 3-series or some other ancient relic of a BMW. It is not something that I would automatically think of as a true drivers car.

Any small convertible will always be effeminate. SLK, TT Roadster, Miata, unless fitted with the biggest possible engine will be driven by women, because they look cool and have a drop-top.

And lets just also remember, James Bond drinks Martini.

3. scudhacks

scudhacks Guest

Well its definitely not for racing. I'm more preferably into older muscle cars with the big engines. I want a 1970 Chevelle SS but those things are also 5-6K more than I have at the moment. I'm not really into living out of my car like some people are. A fully restored 1970 Chevelle SS is around 20-22K and I have no resources or time to restore one on my own. I also fucking hate rice cars and the whole atmosphere of having to mod a car to make it faster with 'brand name' equipment. You can actually work on muscle cars, they come stocked with power, and could hurt a brick wall when you hit one. Not having all the plastic fly off of the 'mod'.

As I said with the miata about the lame cop out, but this is a bmw it has some class. Z3 Roadster and M Roadster (saying it wouldnt be woman-like b/c of the HP difference) are the same except the HP, which is biased b/c you're obviously a 'stat racer' which I am not. Friend of mine races and owns a Supra but he hates sports. Matter of perspective due to environment.

I think the M Couple looks a little odd, its like a cool slick BMW front then it has a station wagon attached to its ass.

You cant tell me you hate James Bond or wouldnt want to be 'James Bond'. James Bond always gets the girl (I know its only a story and also a movie) but product placement is for a reason! heh.

But by saying that, its like saying when a woman drinks a beer shes a bit manly. We all like manly woman dont we???????? :confused:

4. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

save for the M Roadster...

5. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

You seem convinced in yourself enough that the Z3 isn't girlie, so hell if you want one then get one!

Reason I said the M Roadster was not girlie was for the simple fact I have yet to see a woman driving one, compared to the hundreds of girls I have seen in base-spec 1.9 Z3's, in non-metallic mint green running on steel-wheels.

And if by the "stat racer" comment you are inferring that I'm only interested in cars with higher bhp outputs, that is essentially true. But take note of the fact one of the vehicles I drive has only 50bhp a often gives me greater driving pleasure than the STi I also run.

As for women drinking beer, 'tis ok in moderation.

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I had a M roadster 99, The Z3 is a ok car but the paint is water based instead of Oil so you will have lots of chipping. The e30 rear end sucks but your getting the 4. I would suggest looking for a 99 2.3 for about 19-20K. Pently of power and most on the road a lodded with options. Also they dent very easly like Jap cars because of the body curves and thin metal. They sqeak and rattle and it was rushed into production to quickly.

IMHO

7. scudhacks

scudhacks Guest

I really have no idea what kind of car I want now. The ones I want are in th 20k range and I can only afford 15k tops unless I wait 1.5-2 months then I can get a 20k car. But I have no car for the time being b/c previousone was totalled in an accident two weeks ago.

I might take sockseller's advice and just save and wait it out.

But thanks for your opinion, which I did ask of it, Redline Racer. Just wanted to get some and give some of mine so I hope you didnt think I was trying to flame or anything b/c I knew you were not trying either. That friend of mine is a 'stat racer' too and he said the same so its basically asking a person who likes action movies what they think of a drama or mystery, vice versa.

Thanks for the ifno Cachee0, I've been reading about the sqeaks and rattle of the Z3s in the like. Any other information that might help me out?

8. Cachee0

Well if somthing brakes it's going to be expensive to fix. That's about it. If you don't mind these minor issues then go for it. It's a great car IMHO

9. scudhacks

scudhacks Guest

I settled with a 2001 Audi TT Roadster. yeah, only 180HP but then again I dont race and its a nice car along with being a big pussy magnet.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2004
  10. Cachee0

That's another good one and I would say the build quility would be better then the Z3. But in genral BMW>OOOO

11. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Not bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

"Settled?"

2001 TT Roadster > 1997 Z3

13. scudhacks

scudhacks Guest

LOL, ok not 'settled' but chose otherwise due to alot of people having the BMWs and then the expensive repairs.

I love my 2001 Audi TT Roadster and its a very nice car. So I'm happy, thanks for the comments and etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the exact one I bought of couse, but the color and interior is the same.

14. elysium

elysium Guest

This is so true. Although the new (redesigned) SLK is looking a bit more masculine.