GUN Other than a Larue SPR...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Feb 3, 2009.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

...what kind of scope mount/base/ring setup can I get for an AR with a Millet DMS-1 that will clear my Troy BUIS?

I was going to get a cheapo CAA DVRS in the meantime while I procrastinated before taking the plunge to a nice mount but the DVRS is backordered months anyways, so I need to just go ahead and get one now.

I'd like to keep the price around the $100 range. I don't really care if it's rings or a one-piece at this point, just as long as it can clear my BUIS. I tried a medium height set of rings and they won't clear the BUIS (not even close) and when mounted forward of the sights, it's way too far forward for me (I don't shoot nose to the charging handle, apparently).

Options?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think Armalite makes a ~$100 one piece mount

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Someone makes a rail that extends forward of the receiver top like a crane-neck deal. You could probably use that, with some lower rings and maybe be alright.

I paid $125 for a used ADM mount that was excellent in my opinion. Given the current climate that might be a harder snag these days.

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I put the scope just forward of the BUIS, and it was still too far for my liking.

It worked fine at the 1x setting but once I zoomed to 4x, it became uncomfortable to use. I think a combination of the optic being higher and closer to me would be optimum.

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've got the armalite mount, its pretty nice

[​IMG]

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I like the Armalite... I'm just afraid it won't have enough clearance for the BUIS. :sad2:

And I need it by Friday. :doh:

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Given that most of these mounts aren't quick release, why exactly do you need to keep your BUIS attached?

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Less hassle... and aren't the ARMS 22H quick release?

[​IMG]

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yeah, but ARMS shit generally sucks. I've seen several guys snap off the levers, and have zero wondering problems with them.

11. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Why not the larue or even adm or kac for that matter. If you intend to use your buis whether for practice or in case of optic malfunction I would want something that is simple to remove and that will return to zero everytime. An optic mount is one of the last things I would skimp on.

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

:werd: And its not like rifle scopes tend to fail. If they do your prob better off just chunking it off

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I assume you got my last PM, right?

Regarding optic failure, I'd be willing to bet it's more common than many would think. Granted, most of the stuff made for .mil contracts is usually a bit more robust, but I can't tell you how many times I've seen cheaper glass fail. Hell, I can't tell you how many "broke" rifles I've bought for dirt fucking cheap because someone thought it would be a good idea to strap on a Barska into some gun show special rings, atop a 338Ultra, and then wonder why I can get tighter patterns at 100 with a scattergun.

If something is amiss downrange, the first thing I usually start cussing is the optics/mounts. I think most people miss this in part because most people don't even know what to look for when such failures occur. Ask how many people what an adjustable parallax actually does, and how to use it, and 4/5 people you meet will look at you with a blank stare. Ask them if it's normal that their parallax adjustment causes seemingly random POI shifts, and they will tell you they either didn't notice (!!), or don't know how to "fix it".

That's somewhat of a rant, but it's something that's been on my mind recently. I've been trying to talk a guy into some new glass/mounts for his deer gun, but he isn't buying (he runs some Tasco in see-tru mounts), even though he can't hit Minute-of-pie plate, and is constantly having to have me help him "zero" his rifle in (which is a clusterfuck of epic proportions). He still thinks it's the rifle or his shooting :wtc:

14. LancerV

Yea I did, oh and summed up your post too :h5:

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Couple things, is your nose to the charging handle? Have you triend the buis in front of the scope (kinda retarded but this is back up anyway), a different buis may also be a solution, you could also just forgo the rear sight all together. Inside 100 yards this works fine if your cheek weld is consistent. You could also do a small red dot mounted to the scope as backup.

I tend to think set up the scope at the exact height that feels natural, and then everything else should conform to that.

16. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I don't shoot NTCH.

I do want the optic higher than what it's at right now.

I guess I don't really have a need for the BUIS to stay on the entire time, but I have them so I'd like them to stay.

I'd like a mount that can be removed without taking the optic out of the rings so I don't have to reset my zero everytime. The Warne rings I have right now are a bitch to mount the optic and to remove them from the rifle, you have to take everything out and off.

I realize everything I'm saying kinda screams Larue, but I'm sure there's gotta be other decent options for less money...

17. johan

johan Active Member

AD-Recon

18. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

He doesn't want to spend that much. :mamoru:

19. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Just want to see what my available options are.

I'm not going to fool myself and act like I'm an "operator" like all of ARFcom and half of WMD. I don't really require special forces grade equipment.

20. LancerV

To be honest i doubt any of them are going to give you enough clearance for BUIS, and if they do your going to have to sacrifice your cheek weld for it

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Now no offense, but how exactly do you think you sound given the requirements you have posted?

You are asking for a cheap way to mount an optic. You don't want to spend the money for a QD function, but it must have enough clearance so that you can run your BUIS under your scope, which you will never be able to get to in the slim chance that your scope fails you on the war torn streets of anywherville, USA, and you have to continue fighting for your life.

I'm not busting your balls, but I'm having a really hard time following you here. Redgardless of what you feel about ML and his followers, the SPR type mounts that he came out with are likely THE BEST mounting solution for AR's and tube optics. Why don't you sell the BUIS, and use that money to try and find a used LaRue/ADM mount?

22. attomica

attomica Active Member

Actually, you can find the CAA DVRS out there.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/caa-dual-variable-scope-rings.html

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=871

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Command_Arms_Accessories_CAA_DVSR_Rail_Scope_Mount_p/caadvsr.htm

It may not be as pretty as LaRue's stuff, but it's a nice, solid piece. I love mine.

[​IMG]

23. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

ADM mount with DMS1 clears my ARMS #40L. With the butler creek flipl up it contacts slightly but not enough to matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

Problem solved. Plus you don't need to take your scope off to use the buis and the fold down out of the way real nice.

25. LancerV