OTC birth control recommendations (excluding condoms)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Weirdo1769, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Weirdo1769

Weirdo1769 Guest

Can the ladies recommend an over-the-counter birth control other than condoms (we can't use them they hurt her too much)? We want to try something is relatively cheap until her health insurance kicks in to get the NuvaRing again.

2. fixthe fernback

fixthe fernback New Member

They hurt her too much? Sounds like you're doing something wrong

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If you are having sex she should be seeing a gynecologist, not but's. Have her go to her gynecologist and ask for her options. A gyno is a professional.

4. Weirdo1769

Weirdo1769 Guest

yeah you don't know her. She won't. When she finishes this semester I'll try to get her to go to one. She had a bad experience with Planned Parenthood before and refuses to go there again. And to the OP that said I'm doing something wrong, I've worn a condom once with her, and her ex she didn't use a condom with, so it isn't me.

5. iwishyouwerebeer

Well then I don't care what she does, she'll learn soon enough if she gets pregnant or cervical cancer or an STD of some kind. I don't care if some idiot at Planned Parenthood was an idiot to her or whatever BS reason she uses to not get help. She needs to learn to grow up and deal with things like an adult. If she is having sex she NEEDS to be having regular gynecological visits at least once a year.

How old is she? I'm going to guess under 18 of course.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

Condoms or hormonal BC (can get for free at Planned Parenthood). PP is a bitch to deal with, but it's only once a month at most, and with the shot it's only once every three months :).

7. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

there are sponges, spermicides, and films

tell her to try those

8. Weirdo1769

Weirdo1769 Guest

thanks sportsjunkie. And no, she isn't under 18, she is 22. I won't go into details but it was more than someone being an idiot to her at planned parenthood that makes her scared of going there. Believe me, I know it sounds ridiculous but there are a lot of factors that I can't go into detail. I was just looking for some OTC methods, that's it. If you want to delete the thread go ahead.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

At 22 she should know that she can look up most likely more than a handful of actual gynecologists in her area, that's all I'm saying.

What is she, going to swear of gyno visits for life due to a bad experience at Planned Parenthood?? Obviously not a wise choice.

10. sportsjunkie

why can't you just ever answer the question being asked calmly?

seems like you are always diving into someone else's personal life and it has nothing to do with the question at hand. i can't see how anyone can come into the Vag and ask a question that they sincerely would like to get the answer to without you coming in and hounding them to see a "professional"

i'm sure he and his gf know this, but if they decide not to go see a doctor, that's their business

11. Weirdo1769

Weirdo1769 Guest

all i can say is they messed something up.

12. iwishyouwerebeer

He came to a forum asking a question. All we get from his is that his gf says "condoms hurt" when they used them once and she refuses to see a gynecologist. Sorry if you don't like my advice, but I'm not really worrying about your opinion or anyone else's-this is my advice, you gave yours. The biggest red flag I see is the fact that at 22 she needs to be seeing a gynecologist for her current and future health. If she is mature enough to be having sex she should have enough common sense to know it is an important task that needs to be done.

13. sportsjunkie

i don't see how his initial statement/question mentioned that his gf wasn't seeing a gynecologist, but whatever

14. Weirdo1769

Weirdo1769 Guest

yes, we, used a condom the first time we had sex. She had a bf for 3 years before me and they tried condoms mulitple times and different types and they hurt her. She had a gynocologist up until she lost her health insurance. She was homeless at one point so bigger things to worry about then getting checked up. She went to Planned Parenthood to get something taken care of and they fucked up. I can understand why she is scared and have tried to talk her into going and went as far as calling them myself to make the appointment but they ultimately said she has to. Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any effective otc forms of BC because everytime I go into the pharmacy I see the Today's Sponge and those films but wonder how easy they are to use and whether or not they hinder spontaneity and so forth. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I can only say that it is her body so I can't really do anything about it.

15. iwishyouwerebeer

It didn't, but sometimes you have to ask probing question to actually get the true gist of the situation to give advice. He said it by the 4th post
    I'm trying to stop an unwanted child in this world, I try to look at the bigger picture; take it or leave it :dunno:

16. iwishyouwerebeer

I hear ya man, I'm not blaming you for anything. There is just nothing more irresponsible and frustrating to me than someone who refuses to seek professional help that is needed. It also doesn't help that she is supposedly poor with no insurance according to you.

The last thing I want is her to get pregnant at this point. I'm trying not to assume already that the botched "job" PP did was an abortion...At this point it couldn't hurt for you to talk to a pharmacist themselves and ask what they have heard is best.

17. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Alot of people feel uncomfortable going to PP because they are often picketed. I know when I was in my teens, I use to use them, and stop, when I had to walk out of the place surrounded by anti-abortion people, signs, screams, etc. I wasnt even there for that. It just generally was a bad experience and I never went back. They also had a tendency to treat patient like trash...but I do believe that rude medical treatment is better then no medical treatment.

Sponges, spermicide and perhaps she is allergic to latex? Maybe try polyurethane...

18. sportsjunkie

exactly, hence why i gave him the answers :hsugh:

19. sportsjunkie

oh and to the OP...films i believe need to be put in about 15 mins before the act.

i don't like them solely because it's not spontaneity friendly and can put a damper on the mood :o

20. iwishyouwerebeer

Good job :h5:

21. sportsjunkie

eh, i sometimes forget

and in some seriousness...i doubt i get it in far enough :o

22. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

ok so everyone kinda recommended alternatives to condoms, and I agree that you should probably just ask your pharmacist next time youre in for advice on what to use. Additionally, do you think the reason condoms could be causing her pain is because she's allergic to latex or spermicide? This "pain" is the reason that I believe she needs to have an examination. Just because she doesnt have much money, she doesnt need to go to PP if it makes her uncomfortable. Many doctors are able to put you on payment plans, and you said "when the semester ends" which tells me that she is at school. Campus health centers often offer exams. I dont mean to push the issue, but the pain is an indicator that something is wrong, and she should understand the importance of an annual exam. You said she went before she lost her insurance, she did have a gyno, which is great. When she does get it back, encourage her to discuss her discomfort with them and they may be able to diagnose the issue.

I realize thats not the advice you were looking for, so

23. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

Whatever school she's at should have a student health center. at My school it was 30$ for a FULL gyno exam + STD testing. I also go good advice from an all women staff. She should check that out and see if she can take advantage ti some of those programs.

Diaphram + spemacide is an option,
    polyurathane female condoms
    Sponges
    films

24. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

how the fuck do condoms hurt?

is it a latex allergy? tried a lambskin condom or other varieties?

i am confused by "hurt"

25. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

A girl who refuses to use condoms because "they hurt too much" is not a girl who is ready to have sex.

have her get it figured out why they hurt, address that issue, THEN have sex with her.