A&P OTAPers: Help me on a future buy v.mpeg2+osx+jdm

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 3x, Mar 12, 2007.

1. 3x

3x New Member

Well, I'm selling my Nikon D100. I'm hoping to make at least 650 (I already have some buyers). It comes with a MB-D100 and Nikor 28-70...but thats all beside the fact. My question is about this camcorder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-Everio-GZ-M...090435815QQcategoryZ20331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm looking to buy that, not for any film style dealies, just to have a camcorder. I can also take pictures with it, though I don't know how that would turn out. Photography was just a hobby so I'm not really taking a hit there.

It shoots in MPEG2. What would it take to edit this format on OS X on Final Cut or iMovie? Would I be better off keeping it in that format (for space saving purposed opposed to .mov) or convert it to something else? (Out of curiosity, what format is DV once on the computer before being finalized? For some reason I never knew).

It uses a MicroDrive to hold media. This is the same as a CF card, right? The highest quality the camera can shoot is 8.8mbps, and there are decently priced CF cards that can write at 10mbps. 4gb is still the max for these types of media, right?

Also, my final concern is that the product itself is significantly cheaper than any other eBay seller because it is a Japanese product. The menu and whatnot can be set to english, but are there any other drawbacks besides this? It shoots in NTSC, so I'm not worried about PAL or anything. It fits my needs perfectly.

Are there any other hybrid (camcorder/camera) cameras around my price range (700 max) that would be better than this one?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I need help with this one OT. So, can anybody help me out with some answers? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!

2. 3x

3x New Member

Any help guys? :wtc:

3. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

wait...it comes with a nikon 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S?

4. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

He is saying his D100 comes with the MB-D100 and the 28-70. I don't know if it's 2.8 since he didn't say, but I would say it's the 3.5-5.6 AF-D version.

I can't say much, but from what I read...I wouldn't buy from them/that product. I would save up for something like the Sony HDR-SR1 or something to that extent. Once again, I can't say much, but just look around some more.

5. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

damn if its 2.8 id buy that, sweet ass deal

6. 3x

3x New Member

It is an f/2.8, picked it up for 150 on Craigslist. It has no scratches but its not in the best of operating conditions. Bodies usually go for 400 so I just did the math. I know I could be getting a lot more...but I figure I might as well give the next guy a break like I did.

That camcorder fits my needs though, I may ask around some more. I really don't want to deal with returns or anything of that sort since they're based in Japan.

7. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

8. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Nikon shooters refer to that thing as "the Beast".