A&P OTAP: Just purchased my first SLR v.I'mtotallynewtophotography :noes:

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DjShiznit, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So I posted a thread in the main forum a few days ago, consulted with a couple acquaintances, and pulled the trigger on a Rebel XTi, 4gb card and carrying bag :cool:

Going from a Digital Elph S200 (2mp) to a 10mp slr will surely be a HUGE leap, but I'm excited to get my hands on it and start experimenting with photography :hs:

I've been going over the Photography FAQ thread, as well as JColman's "Basic & Flash Photography 101" thread. It's obvious I have a lot to learn. I'm sure my poor camera will spend a lot of time in "auto" mode, until I start to get the hang of how to properly adjust it manually, depending on the setting.

With my noobness being stated, what would OTAP recomend my next purchase to be? I know the included lens is mediocre at best, so I may consider a suitable replacement lens. Honestly, going from what I had, the camera could have the worst lens in the world, and it'd still be leaps and bounds better than what I'm use to. Some input would be nice though. Maybe a tripod? Perhaps some other equipment that I'm not yet familiar with (again, noob here). I've just started learning, I know I have a lot to grasp, but I can't stress enough how clueless I am regarding photography, in general.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my recent purchase. Feel free to post comments or suggestions: I look forward to learning more :wavey:

2. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

a decent tripod is always a good idea :)

3. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

Id agree to get a tripod. Then just play around with it a lot. The kit lens should be fine for now as you are just learning. I used mine for three years before upgrading the lens this summer although i probably shouldnt have waited quite as long.

Id just say go out and shoot and see how much you like it and if you dont put it down after a little while, then start thinking of upgrading the glass

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I tell a lot of people not to worry about trying to shoot in manual right off the bat. Spend some time shooting in auto and work on your composition. Then, by looking at the exif for your shots, you'll start to understand the cause and effect of what you're settings are.