A&P OTAP....is a PC built for photog doable with a tight budget?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I've got a good monitor, fwiw. I have another monitor of lesser quality I can use for browsing with my desktop that I will deem my "browsing" PC. I want to check into building a PC strictly for editing/ripping/PP'ing photos. Possibly even with some internal storage.....but I'll definitely have all of my externals hooked to it. It would all be built from scratch, unless I can find something to start with locally (that isn't too crusty and outdated).

Anyone built one recently? Can it be done on the cheap? :x:

2. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

you should ask this on the main forum...

3. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

4. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Cheap? What's cheap to you?

$500 can easily get you quad core, 6GB of memory, Vista 64, decent enough graphics card (doesn't need to be amazing).

You definitely want a lot of memory though. That's certainly the biggest bottleneck of my PC for image editing. I have a button on my desktop to clear it of documents im no longer working on :mamoru:

5. Frank N. Beans

Something I could piece together over 6 months would be ideal, so I don't cheap out on vital components. I'd say $500 would be the absolute most I'd want to spend, but honestly I'd rather aim for $300 or so. :hsd:

6. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

do you have anything that you can use from your old computer? a hard drive for the os/programs, a case, anything?

7. Frank N. Beans

I'm keeping my old computer for internet browsing. I will be starting from scratch with this new photog computer........except I have a nice, new monitor.....with DVI connectors.

8. tetsuo

hmm, that is going to make it tough, but tomorrow at work i'll try to price something out for you :h5:

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I got this last year from Circuit city for that price. I was gonna build one but to walk in and out with a tower for cheaper than building, I was better off. It was actually a little bit mroe expensive cause I bought a wireless card to connect to the net with.

10. tetsuo

trying to go as cheap as possible and still get some decent stuff, here's what i would probably do.

$62 for a motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157144

$115 for a e7400 (if you have a microcenter locally they will often sell chips in the store cheaper than they are on newegg)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206

$28 after mir for 4gb of ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220314

this leaves about $95 to get a hard drive (about $35-40) for an 80gb, a case, a power supply, and a keyboard/mouse.

so its entirely doable if you aren't having to buy the os and don't mind a cheap case/psu. :o personally, in this price range, i would probably just find a dell deal or a refurb that fits your budget. currently dell has a small business deal going on that will get you a e8400/3gb/320gb box with a 19" lcd for $420.

11. Twiztid

Twiztid What the FUCK is a samoflange?

Hey Frank N. Beans

I threw together a wish list on Newegg but i'm not sure how to just link to it. I named it FrankNBeans if you wunna try to look it up, otherwise PM me your email and I'll just do the "email this list" feature to email it to you.

Cliffs:
    Quad Core
    8Gigs of DDR2 1066 Tetsuos from up there ^
    250Gig HD
    680 Watt Power Supply
    Same Mobo tetsuo listed
    EVGA 8600GT Video Card
    ATX Mid Tower Case
    Windows Vista Home Premium OEM

Total: 613.91 After Mail In Rebates: 553.91

If you did the Core Duo tetsuo listed, that'd be 40 bucks off, if you went down to a smaller HD you could save maybe 20 bucks. No point though, 160 HD 40 bucks, that 250 is 50 bucks. A weaker Power Supply would be ok too, could potentially save a few bucks there.

I included what I thought was reasonable for the price jump from something much less powerful.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  12. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Graphics card?

13. Section8

Section8 .

That's a pretty decent build but I would possibly bump up the video card. Also FWIW, DDR3 prices have come down quite a bit, i just put 4gb in my box for $80.

14. Twiztid

I agree completely, though, if you could see the actual items it'd be a little easier to understand. To put in a better video card and RAM would require a better motherboard. The better mobo would be another 20-30 bucks, then on top of that a better vidcard and ram would be another 50-75 probably. On budget, computers are tough, you can rarely do a budget build that can easily be upgraded later.

This build I just posted would have to be almost completely scrapped if he wanted more performance in a year or 2. The HD is pretty much all that could be saved.

15. tetsuo

onboard :o if your are going strictly budget, thats about all you can do. you can always add one later though or if he wants to spend a little over 300 :dunno:

16. Section8

Section8 .

makes sense - i didn't look at the specs of the MB.

My video card could use an upgrade but otherwise my 2 year old system is still working pretty well -especially after the upgrade to 4gb of ram.

17. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I run a 8600GT in my rig, (OC'd Q6600, 8GB DDR2, ect) and it works just fine.

I'm not much of a gamer, but it runs everything on The Orange Box great and even played the Crysis demo (at lower settings) at 30+fps.

If all you're doing is PS work, the 8600 will be fine.

18. tetsuo

really, if you are going to buy a video card, you might as well buy a better one than that, considering cs4 now dumps a lot of its processing off to the gpu so it can make a huge difference in photoshop performance.

19. Twiztid

Haha you suggested that MoBo!! It can only handle a PCI-E X16, that is the best card you can get at that interface.

20. tetsuo

yeah, but a pci-e 2 card will still work in a pci-e slot, and will outperform the pci-e card. :hsugh: you only loose a small fraction of the percentage of the performance putting a pci-e2 card into a pci-e slot.

21. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Onboard is just useless, even for photo editing. Even a $20 card is better than that.

22. Twiztid

Yep, RAM is huge, DDR2 you pretty much have to have 8Gigs to run CS4 as smoothly as possible. DDR3 I've heard works well with just 2 Gigs but that 4 is optimal.

23. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

As far as I know PCIe is the current standard interface.

Edit: Or not. PCIe 2.0 eh?

Anyway, he doesn't need a great card. Even a 6600GT would be fine.

24. tetsuo

:dunno: i was just trying to stick to the guy's $300 budget. if he wants to go over that a bit and buy a video card, then i would highly recommend it. but if he wants to wait a couple weeks to buy one, the computer will run without it.

25. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Also, an 8600GT is not the best card for that interface.