GUN OT WMD: Learn me on the Sig P6 v. JHP feed ramp issues

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HSTexan, Jul 14, 2009.

1. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

So I've been looking into getting a P6 for a little bit now. As of now my understanding is that they were specifically made for ball ammunition until 1989 when they did a revamp to the feed ramp to allow clean feeding of hollow point ammunition. However, I've been digging a bit and I've found people claiming they have their 1979 issue P6 cleanly feed hundreds of rounds of JHP or a 1983 feeding a healthy amount of JHP cleanly. Also, according to a P6 FAQ thread on Sigforum, there used to be a company called Customized Creationz who did a feed ramp mod on pre-89 P6s.

Their website was:

http://customizedcreationz.com/

But it appears to be closed down now.

So basically what is the issue with the early model feed ramps, and if this company was able to do a mod, could another qualified armorer do similar? I want the gun to shoot at the range right now, but assuming I could get a good dose of JHP through it at the range with no problems, I would probably throw it in the CC rotation...smaller size and single stack width sounds fairly nice, but I would want to make sure it wouldn't have any issues before I used it.

2. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I haven't had an issue with HP through mine, and it's an 82 :dunno: I guess I'm just lucky

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

My 3/82 P6 feeds JHP's fine.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I would not mess with it and use Federals EFMJ if you want to carry it. It is a cheap surplus gun, no need to spend a lot of money on it, just enjoy it for what it is. If you want something for carry, buy something you don't have to fuck with to run 100%

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I will personally come to your house, knock the taste out of your mouth, and take your money myself if you send your gun to Customized Creationz. And you would still be better off then sending it to that ass felching cock gobbling bullshit artist.

P6's are hit or miss. The ones I have had fed fine. How much are you paying for it?

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And I'll this a step further and say if you're buying something to carry, get a gun that will feed ammo that doesn't suck without question. I wouldn't handicap myself with crappy ammo to save a few bucks. There's a ton of cheap 3rd gen s&w's out there that are reliable.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Agreed.

8. HSTexan

HSTexan Active Member

A few of the ones I'm looking at are $350-375. I know nothing like the $275 you used to be able to find them for, but still better than the $500 I saw one for at the local range.

As far as putting it as my carry gun, my primary carry gun is a 229, so I'm not buying that for this. This would be something I might toy with the idea of throwing in the rotation. As mentioned before, I've heard they were hit or miss. I'm not planning on cheaping out on ammo either...not sure where that came from?

As far as Customized Creationz. The name makes it sound like a douche company, I just wasn't sure what exactly it was they did with the barrel to "fix" the issue

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If I had to guess, I would say something stupid like a polish job or whatnot. Todd is NOT a gunsmith, and shouldn't even remotely be confused as such. At most, he might be re-profiling the feed ramp with a mill (thought I might have heard somewhere that there is a "bump" in the feedramp that needs to be taken down). I'd either do it myself, or send it to someone who isn't a scam artist. Like Bruce Gray.

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Myself and relatives have a few P6's, 78-81 and none of them have had issues feeding Cold Dot JHP's but those are a pretty small tip HP so that could be it. I've never seen the issue so I personally wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand, if I hadn't shot a few of them and had heard of the issue, I'd be worried, so I can see your perspective. I'd say it's one of the best quality weapons youc an get for that money so get it and worry abou tthe feeding problem if it happnes, otherwise shoot it and be happy.