A&P OT, what do you think about these dslr's?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by IceMurder, Sep 30, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

ive been looking for a dslr for awhile now and best buy has a Canon EOX Rebel sti and a sony Alpha 100k on sale. they are both within my price range and i wanted to get opinions from u guys on both of them

2. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

between those two? get the Canon.

3. limiteD*

limiteD* 今あいたい すぐあいたい

Both are capable cameras. I would personally choose the Canon however because of their lens line-up.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

xti > sony

5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

does the xti offer b&w picture settings? ive never had a dslr before so i have no idea about them :o

6. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

if a b&w feature is what you're worried about, a DSLR is probably overkill for you.

7. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

in-camera B&W = complete shit

Sounds like you should probably buy a good point and shoot.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

you gunna get ripped off...

I don't think i've ever seen Canon sell a rally inspired automobile nor have I seen Sony ever sell a bright ass lightbulb.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

for once, and this should go down in the archives, I actually agree with him. Please, please PLEASE don't get a DSLR if you don't know how to use a camera.

10. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

gotta start somewhere...hands on is the best approach to learning something like photography

11. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

if you want to learn photography get the camera. Don't listen to these guys. when I first bought my SLR i was like why the hell did I buy this thing I suck so bad. But I have so much now that I improved. can't improve until you get out there and use the thing

Get the Canon...

12. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

im definately notjust worried about b&w i just like the feature. i have 2 p&s cameras now but i want to make the step up to a dslr and have more options than just a p&s

13. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

im not quite sure what thats supposed to mean, but ok...

14. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

you said STi instead of XTi. Dumb joke.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The point that he was trying to make is that if you're looking to get b&w images out of a digital picture, the you shoot RAW, then convert the file to b&w using Adobe.

You not only get a better quality conversion, but you get the ability to pick and choose the how tones are converted to b&w, so it' s like having the ability to take the shot, THEN decide which b&w film you want to shoot it with.

Get the xti and adobe cs3.

16. dano

dano OT Supporter

XTi. Like someone said above, I got it and had zero idea on how to use it. Now I've tossed on a few different lenses on the sucker and consider myself fairly good at using it and avoiding correcting everything post-processing.

Just don't let the first pictures you post be flowers or pets, please.

17. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

haha alright well thanks for all the opinions, i made the jump tonight and bought it and i've been reading the manual since i walked outta the store :o

seems pretty straight forward on everything and i've shot a few pictures so far and they're not bad at all. only thing is i wish it had image stabilization because ive had a few blurred shots. Do all DSLRs not use the LCD as a viewer and only let you use the viewfinder before taking a picture?

18. dano

dano OT Supporter

The LCD is shit for properly positioning a shot anyways. I'm so used to the viewfinder now that I use it and turn the screen off on my A75. :mamoru:

The blurred shots are probably a result of poor choice of shutter speed. There's two modes called Tv (time value) and Av (aperature value). In Tv you pick the time you want the shutter to stay open for and it picks the aperature for you, and it's the reverse for Av. If you're not the greatest with picking a good shutter speed, use Av. If the picture is still blurry it probably means the lighting in your picture is shit, either use a flash or don't take the shot.

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

using the LCD to compose images is a sick joke. You'll need to forget about that asap.

Dano summed up the blurred shots pretty good. What mode are you using, what shutter speed?

look into using a tripod, changing your aperture, and increasing your iso to stop blurred shots, in that order.

20. Rolledsho

Rolledsho New Member

Yes it has black and white

21. Rolledsho

Rolledsho New Member

and Canon added the LCD display to use as a preview on the new 1D

22. Rolledsho

Rolledsho New Member

First would be to make sure you are holding the camera correctly to eliminate shake

23. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i was just using the auto mode to shoot some test shots when i got home tonight, but the sun had almost gone down so it was getting dark outside and i wasnt using flash, thats prob why they were blurry. and im looking into getting a tripod this week, gotta find one i like :o

im really glad i got this camera now, i forgot i had an old Canon EOS Rebel X from like 1995 and i have the Speedlite 200E top mount flash for it, and it fits on the xti, i also have an old 35-80mm lens, is that any good to use? or should i stick with the 18-55mm that came with the xti?

24. dano

dano OT Supporter

The kit lens is a joke. It's so soft it's not even funny. If you have the money get something else. I picked up a 50mm f/1.8 II for $80 on Amazon and can't see myself ever using the kit lens again unless I know I need to have a zoom feature. The clarity is night/day between the two.

25. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

link to said lens?

anyone know how to sync this camera with the top mount flash? it wont fire when i take a picture