OT Web Developers: Domain Name help :x

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Igneous, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

A friend of mine paid some web developer to build him a site a few years ago, however him, the web developer guy was responsible for purchasing the domain name and the hosting etc and my friend paid him a flat fee for setting up everything ($3000.00 USD) and a semi-annually fee to keep it running and updated (400$ every 6/mo).

Now the web developer guy just dropped off the face of the earth and my buddy has been unable to contact him for months and he was asking me if there was anyway he could get the domain name back at least because he does a lot of business on it and he would just lose a huge portion of his client base if he couldn't get it back.

I tried contacting the company that the domain name was registered with but for the past 2 weeks they've keep giving me the run-arounds, at one point they even told me they had no internet... just to avoid telling me what i can do to get this domain name back.

What i wanted to know is... if i went ahead and applied for a domain name transfter would the domain name be transfered sucessfully and would it give me the ability to have full control over the DNS so i can properly foward the domain name to the host and configure MX and all that stuff?

2. www.techdo.com

www.techdo.com New Member

the domain is still yours or has been expired and registered again from other people ?

3. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

Is the domain registered in the Webmaster's name? Seems like it would extremely hard to get a transfer on a domain that is registered in someone elses name. :/

4. Igneous

Igneous \\ OT Supporter

the domain is registered under my friends name, all the contact information is his, he just does not have teh user ID and password to loginto the account configuration @ www.enom.com. The only thing is that Enom says that we must contact the reseller which his webmaster purchased the domain that they cannot help us with anything else. :/

5. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

That's no good....

Without some sort of FTP control, things don't look good.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I had to deal with that domain name bullshit a few times. I fucking hate it. It's a nightmare.