OT-Vag: What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by its a guy thing, Sep 6, 2006.

1. its a guy thing

its a guy thing New Member

About 3 mo ago, I moved to a new area of town. One that is closer to work. Being that I'm new in the area, I don't know a whole lot of people. On Tuesdays, I'm part of a Beach Volleyball league which I joined to have fun and meet more people. After the games we go to a bar. Today was the 2nd time of the season and I just met half the 4 person team today cause half wasn't there last week. They all left after the games, so I didn't really have my team to hang out with, but I knew some other people and dropped by. Had the choice of staying, but decided to leave cause I wanted to save money and didn't really want to crash the small cliques of the people I knew(shy move). The saving money part really shouldn't apply, but I had forgotten I got a nice raise earlier in the day.

My main questions is, should I have stayed, had a couple of drinks and partied it up?

My problem is that out of college, meeting new people and making new friends isn't like how it was in kindergarden up til college, which was relatively easy. Everyone is nice, and I can do light hello's and some small talk. I just am rarely able to get past that part. In hanging out w. newer people I just don't have anything to say, so everyone else talks.

How do you get past those general hello's and small talk?
    Is it just practice? I guess I'm in the perfect situations to do it. There are 8 more weeks or so to this league, plus other things I attend. This is somewhat comical to me cause my job is basically sales, but somehow it's easier because I have a general objective. Being social, is just too broad.

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i think you already know the right answer to your question

3. its a guy thing

Somehow.. it always ends up that way..

4. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

WTF

Dude, the problem is you have no balls. Make a decision for yourself dude, and if she isnt putting out, punch that bitch in the kidneys and show her who daddy is

5. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

I think you should approach it like you would your sales job. You do research, don't you? You search for common ground to start a conversation...socially, it ain't much different.

Now, my feeling is that you probably made the right move and went home. It's not like you aren't going to see these people again. You have to ease your way in with a group. You need to feel comfortable, they need to not be bombarded. Watch things, see what you might have in common, start with small talk, don't be overbearing. It may take a while, but good things usually do. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't accomplish everything in one night. Take your time.

As for not having anything to say, quiet is okay. It's not like you don't know HOW to talk. You do it in other situations. So when you do have something to say, you'll say it. Be easy. Don't worry about the pressure. Just go with the flow and it'll all work out.

6. its a guy thing

wow.. you seem to understand where i be coming from.

7. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Occassionally I have a clue.... :)