OT truck Crew v. Chevy Colorado

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by saiaba, May 16, 2008.

1. saiaba

saiaba Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks nice, I have driven 1 or two before they ride a lot better than my civic, would get it for light towing, and light offroading, and to take me to my fishing spot.. Toss me some opinions.

edit: I know there was a Colorado thread a while back, or at least I think there was one on here.. anyways let me know what you think.
    IBtacoma

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not a horrible truck, but not great in any way, either.

the engine is especially under-powered compared to the other offerings.

For the same price (or even a little less) you're better off getting a Nissan Frontier.

3. saiaba

saiaba Guest

I am 6'5 I can fit the colorado fine, the Tacoma is a little bit iffy, and has a bumpy slightly rough ride in comparison. I have had bad luck with two nissans in the past, I can fit in the current gen frontier alright, but the old ones I can't even get my legs inside.

Not really looking to go towards a fullsize... :hsd:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then get a 2005+ Nissan Frontier. They ride smooth, and the VQ40DE is the best motor in any midsize truck.

5. saiaba

saiaba Guest

Just did a search for frontiers in my area, a lot of 2wd... most are over priced. /sigh

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

did you actually talk to the owners to work out a price? If you're going off advertised pricing, well, then you're an idiot.

7. saiaba

saiaba Guest

I was looking to buy from a dealership, and I have a trade in. I have talked to a few dealers and talked them down, but the features/colors arent where I want them.

Thanks for the kind words though.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

frontier would run you about $23k, methinks. last i checked you're still paying more for a colorado and youre getting less stuff.

9. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Hey look, it's potroast still beating up on the truck & suv forum fanboys LOL

I have to agree with him on the 05+ Frontier. Great truck, unreal towing numbers for its size. I personally still prefer the Tacoma just b/c I have had great experiences with trucks that have a T on the front grill, but either truck is FTMFW.

The ony way I could justify buying a Colorado is if it was a smoking deal, like $5k less than either the Frontier or the Tacoma.

10. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Do not want.

11. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

forget a fucking tacoma or frontier. way overpriced for a truck that isnt any higher quality than a comparable colorado, ranger or dakota.

with that being said, if you can live with the relatively underpowered i-5 in the colorado, it seems to be a good truck. i dont know how the long term reliability on that engine is though. i think theyre kinda ugly too :hs: but my friend has a 4wd crew cab colorado and has taken that thing through some nasty shit offroad and its holding up very well so far.

i personally would lean towards a tried and true 4.0v6 ranger if i was looking for a small pickup, though. proven reliable drivetrain, easy to work on, good all around pickup that you dont have to be afraid of putting to work. rangers are very affordable too, especially used. just a suggestion

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

last time I checked, the frontier was CHEAPER than a colorado or dakota. The ranger is cheaper than a frontier, but it's a piece of fucking shit. Oh, and you want 4 doors? Ford says you can't have that!

If you want a 20 year old truck, buy used. It's pointless to actually pay ford for that piece of shit.

Considering that $23k gets you a 4L V6 4x4 Crew Cab Frontier, that's the best value in midsize trucks. Especially since there's actually a usable back seat. Ford doesn't have that.

13. saiaba

saiaba Guest

Colorado's around my area with similar features, year, mileage are cheaper in my area. Anyways the dealer sold it, so for now I will hold off on that truck idea.

(might be worse)

I am kind of thinking about an 03-05 Tundra.

14. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

much better trucks out there for the money.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a 2005 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 V8. Take it from me, they're not that great. I have a wierd love for my truck, but I wouldn't recommend one to a friend. I also wouldn't buy one again.

16. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Im leasing one right now. I don't mind it, though I am bored with it after a year.

I haven't had any major problems with it and it suits me perfect. Light hauling, tools/lumber, boat in the summer.

It rides really nice for a truck, but suffers from wind noise through the double doors at higher highway speeds. Gas mileage is decent with the i5 and I can live with the power, its not as bad as people make it out to be. I like the Chevy look compared to the others, especially the interior and gauges. As well, it was the cheapest of them.

Will I buy it out? Not a chance. When I'm done school i'll buy a 2000ish silverado for hauling and get a bike/car.

17. saiaba

saiaba Guest

good to know. My dad had an 02 tundra 2wd.. It got shitty gas mileage.. towed pretty good, interior wore out quick, and random small suspension/brake/hoses wore out faster than they should have. But it was a first year model.

Thanks again for all the input!

18. V!

V! New Member

I recently bought a colorado and waiting for it to get shipped to me, I'll report back once I get it...

19. squid

squid braap

I rented one and I actually liked it a lot. It was far smoother and more refined at high revs and on fire roads than our old Frontier ever was. The bed on a 4-door / short bed was pretty small but it hauled my 450+lb motorcycle like it wasn't even there. The interior was well screwed together and well designed. I liked the 5; it's no hot rod, but that's not why you should be buying a truck anyways.