OT: Tell me which mods to do to my car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Tard Carnival, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Currently it is bone stock except for some wheels that came with it (that I don't like), and an ECU chip.

For Christmas, I'm getting some lowering springs to drop it 1.3" front and rear, and a new set of 4 shocks all around.

Currently, let's say I plan on spending around $1000 more on it.

Potential future mods:
    -Cat delete (Cheap)
    -Cone filter and custom ducting for cold air (Cheap)
    -New wheels: BBS 15s or 16s (Expensive!)
    -Front and rear sway bar kit (~300+ shipping)
    -Full round of tinting ($100-$200)
    -Full rebuild then turbocharging of engine (Probably more than I want to spend right now. Rebuild might be almost $2k to do myself, and turbocharging would be a $1000 minimum job.)
    -Total black out. Black powdercoated stock wheels (few hundred), new black paintjob ($400 at a local shop), dark tint, smoked tails and headlights.

Or suggest a mod of your own!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Byromaniac

Byromaniac GO JETS GO OT Supporter

anything but rice

3. SoBrokenHearted

SoBrokenHearted summer unfolded like a tapestry

Depends on if you want to look damn good or have more power.... :dunno:

4. MA71Supra

MA71Supra New Member

400 dollar paintjob? quality materials cost more than that!

5. I would never bastardize my car in any sort of a ricey manner.

6. LEGbEND

LEGbEND .

bigger tires!

7. I want both, but I want it to handle well first. The first mistake too many idiots make with cars is getting it too powerful for the brakes and suspension to handle.

I think right now I'm focused on appearance and suspension.

8. If I ever get a 4.10 rear diff, I will also go with commensurately larger tires, but the gears are pretty tall just on stock gearing, so I don't want to go any taller than stock right now.

9. Yeah, I was leaning towards the sways, CAI, and cat delete, since that gives me a good bang for the buck in regards to a little more power AND a nice boost in handling.

I need the swaybars more because my car has a tendency to push right now, and I'd much rather it oversteer.

10. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

What are you going to use for an engine managment system?

I'd paint it, wide body kit, redo interior, buckets up front and call it a day :eek3:

11. Dr.Smasher

Dr.Smasher .

///M3 Motor

12. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

Removing the cat won't get you any gains over a high-flow cat....I would stick to sway bars and shocks.

13. dimo

dimo New Member

YEah definately get new suspension. One of the first things i did and u can really notice a difference.

14. My car has 200k miles and I believe it's on the original cat. That fucker is clogged if I had to guess, and should open up the exhaust markedly when I remove it.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Guest

16. Engine management would likely be a megasquirt setup if I turbo it.

Right now it's got a new painjob (the red you see in the pics). If I do any body mods, they will be limited to M3 fenders and wing.

The interior is still in fine shape, and the stock "S" seats hold me in there plenty well. :)

18. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

You don't really need a cat if you decide to turbo. Unless you want it for sound and emissions :wiggle:

19. Yeah, which is why I think I want to remove it.

No emissions in either TN or FL. :big grin:

20. ae86andkp61

ae86andkp61 Guest

But if you replace it with a high-flow cat your car will also see similar gains and your children won't be born with cancer and deformities.

Another thought: replace your suspension bushings. Doing this has made a bigger difference in handling than shocks or sway bars on my mid-80's cars. For the Corolla a complete set (about 40 pieces) in hard rubber costs about $225. Polyurethane or similar is another good material to tighten up the suspension a bit, but it may increase road noise, decrease ride quality a bit over small bumps. New OE ones might be an improvement, too, but bigger handling gains can be had with something harder.

21. RamC15

RamC15 Is that all you got, you panzies

sell it and get a m3

22. :wtc:

But I've already had one close call where my car showed no signs of the tires slipping... and then... the front just PLOWED. Scary as shit.

At least with oversteer I'd still have some control. :hs:

23. I couldn't come close to affording the initial cost of the M3 and then all asociated maintenence it would need.

Besides, I can make my car faster than and corner as well as a stock e30 M3 with the suspension mods I plan and with a new rear differential.

24. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Only in the south. In GA you have to register in certain counties to be exempt from emmissions. Glad I live near one :)

My uncle has an old BMW unsure of what it is. 2dr 5spd all I'd have to do is ship here for $500 prob my next project :x:

25. Interesting. I've looked into a full set of M3 suspension bushings, but didn't think it would improve things that much.

I'm worried about the expenses required for labor that I can't do, i.e. pressing out the old and pressing in the new bushings.