OT tell me about the Macbook PRO

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tonpu, Jun 26, 2006.

1. tonpu

tonpu OT Supporter

Atm i have a ibm t42 that im thinking about replacing dunno whether to get another ibm or try out the macbookpro's.

Tell me about the little problems it has. Heat issues etc...

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

When you do something like render video, you can't set it on your lap. It gets hot. I use a plastic cutting board that happens to be the same size as the macbook pro for insulation.

If you're not really hammering the processor, it don't get hot. Even when it does, its only a problem when its in your lap.

There are still some annoyances with not everything having universal binaries. This isn't too big a deal.

And there are reports of yellowing of the case, and of battery swell. But these are rare, and Apple will take care of them.

In short: buy one.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

love mine, best computer i've ever had

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

That is only the case with the MacBook white, not the MacBook Pro, which is what he was asking about. (at least the yellowing. The battery swell is happening to a small number of MBPs but Apple will send you a new battery ASAP)

I highly enjoy my MBP, I do have a couple issues with mine, but I am waiting a while then going to unleash my AppleCare and get it fixed :)

5. zooski

zooski New Member

Will Apple take care of the MacBook yellowing issue?
    I found out about that right after I ordered mine and am glad I went with the extended AppleCare.

6. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

I'm gonna make the switch to MBP too but I'm gonna hold off until Fall.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1777

BTW when is Leopard supposed to come out? Before the end of the year, yeah?

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can always wait forever for the 'next hot thing.' Or you could be using it now. Waiting is a trap.

8. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

this is true, especially with apple. Its like clockwork with them, always releaseing something just a smidge better than what you have currently

9. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I am going to wait till end of year tho still I think to purchase a intel laptop for them, I wanna give some more time for the UB's... to update and be nicely ready for me

10. tonpu

tonpu OT Supporter

i think im gonna wait too till they fix some issues

11. johan

johan Active Member

They'll probably address the heat issue with the refresh. Merom interests me but it doesn't give me anything concrete that's not already in the MBP.

However, I'm still waiting for a few months. I really want a DL burner in a 15. So I can wait a bit longer.

12. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

The current line of Core Duo processors are 31w, I'm not sure what the Meroms are gonna be, I'll see if I can find out. I'm betting on 25-27w, which would run a bit cooler.

I think Apple is still figuring out the balance of fan noise to heat. They can cool it down more, but with more fan noise. One of the things they might do is go to quieter fans.

13. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I have one and it's the only Apple computer I own and used that I have been dissappointed with. The notebook has just had way too many problems and I have been to the Apple store twice in the 4 months I have owned it. Of those two times, I have went in with 2 problems and left with only one fixed, and the other only something that can be fixed if it is mailed in for 2 weeks. Now I am at the point where I am letting issues tally up so I can send it in once for everything.

That is reliability. On to what I use it for. I am an Art Director and Graphic artist by trade and use my MBP all day long. Being that this is an Intel based Mac, the Adobe Suite, Office Suite, Stuffit and Mozilla Thunderbird need to be run under Rosetta and they all run slow as shit. Slow as shit.

Other then that, the notebook is a good one. It handles native issues really well and very fast. For someone that looks to just use it for email, web, and dual booting, it would be perfect. You will just want to wait until some of the hardware issues are all ironed out.