OT tell me about PHP & mySQL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ryan112ryan, Dec 1, 2005.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

so im hoping to get my site up and going, its kinda lame now ( www.photogpoint.com ) i want to setup a blog (im going to use wordpress) here is want im looking to learn:

-a breif explination of how it all works (loaded question i know, but the oversimplified version)

-what are the most useful applications of PHP and mySQL

-can i setup databases so i can drag and drop photos to my server and they are posted

-if you had to choose one tutorial/information website on this topis, the one that helped you learn this stuff, which one is it?

-are there forums that i could search?

remeber i can't do any of this, have no prior knowledge, basically retared with web authoring (save HTML a lil CSS)

2. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

another note, i have downloaded PHPmyadmin and mySQL software on my comp, but i think they need to be moved over to my server's root file, but i have to configure them somehow, but idk how, the documentaion is rather confusing - help am i even on the right path?

3. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Somewhat on the right path, you really are going to need to start reading some tutorials, you have quite a ways to go if you want to figure it all out.

I don't have any of my bookmarks on this computer, I'll try to get you some later, until then I would just google for php beginner tutorial and the similar.

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

PHP is a programming language that is embeded in the html, when the server goes to send this page out to a client it runs the code in the html.

mysql is database software, just like you have a host with a web server, you need a host with a mysql server.

phpmyadmin is a peice of software you can install that lets you manage your mysql databases, it is php based also

likewise, wordpress, is php based for the code and (i believe) saves all of your posts in mysql databases

i dont know if any of that helps, just thought i would throw it out there...

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c