A&P OT: Teach me shooting in Program mode...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Jan 30, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I really want to start shooting with RAW, and P mode is the closest mode to Auto that will save in RAW. I know I control the exposure, but I just took a couple flash shots and they came out looking blurry and overexposed even though I turned down the exposure.

I also need to teach my girlfriend how to use P mode too since she shoots a lot of snapshots of our daughter with my 350D.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

theres nothing to know, its auto with a few exceptions:
    you set the ISO, thats the sensitivity to light. lower number = cleaner image but needs more exposure time. higher = less exposure time but more noise (grain)

it meters the scene and creates an exposure. you can change the aperture and shutterspeed, but only to another equivalent exposure

flash doesn't pop up automatically

read teh ebook, understanding exposure in the sticky.

3. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

as well as your camera manual.

4. verbal

verbal Active Member

I figured I knew things already, just thought I'd ask though.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Program is point and click, with the ability to adjust exposure compensation.

Try shooting in A-DEP instead. It's like program on steroids. It determines what things you want in sharp focus and chooses the correct aperture value. But if say you want a rear subject to be in focus and the front subject to be blurry, simply recompose and refocus with priority on the rear subject, then compose to your liking. If you refocus, about half of the time it'll alternate between shallow and deep DOF, which is pretty cool. Exposure compensation is also available by changing the fstop.