OT Should I buy new cowlings or just paint em ??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RoblesGT, Apr 29, 2008.

1. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

bought a used gs500 and the scratches are pretty shitty ... here are pics

[​IMG]

new cowlings go for 150 each side ... should i buy the cowlings or just try in paint the scratches ??

this is my learner bike and will probably buy something new in a few months (3-6) ..

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

If you ride with any possibility of laying down your bike than just paint it.

3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

pull the fairings off and ride it naked... put a 7" round headlight (or a Buell setup or whatever) on it and it'll look decent.

4. RoblesGT

i dont ride crazy or do stunts so i dont see a big possibility of it falling on me

5. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Laying down = dropping it / crashing.

Just paint them. You WILL drop it.

Or as mentioned, strip it.. look much better without the fairings.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Or you can fork out the cash for new fairings which will make you just a little more aware of how you ride. The whole "you WILL drop it" thing is hogwash. Yes, you might drop it, but then again, if you are a good rider and have a head on your shoulders, you may be like many riders and not drop it.

I really depends on what you want to do with the bike. You want it looking factory and restored? or do you want a streetfigher-esque look to it and don't care? Factory restored = go with new fairings and graphics. If you're going to sell it soon, do you want to put 300-400 into it? it will help with resale but then again, you screw around and drop it and you just wasted that money.

7. RoblesGT

i'm not a crazy driver and dont see myself dropping it ... and i do plan to sell it in the next few months so i think putting forth the few hundred bucks on fairings might be better for re-sale value.

i sat on a ninja zx600r and loved the change in stance/sitting angle ... so i'm going to look into getting the money for that one ... if i can trade in this POS then even better, :big grin:

8. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I almost dropped my bike in a parking lot, my foot slipped on some gravel as I was backing it up a few feet into a parking spot. Be careful saying you'll never drop it, it will probably be something stupid if you do drop it, and if you never drop it, then even beter :bigthumb: