GUN OT Recommend me a handgun v.turning21

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IceMurder, Dec 14, 2007.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

So i'm turning 21 in January and the first thing I will be doing is buying a pistol. I've been looking for months and i've decided on a few that I like...which are

[​IMG]
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/30988
    [​IMG]
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/52/products_id/30865
    [​IMG]
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/43/products_id/73203

anyone have opinions on these? I will eventually be getting my concealed carry permit, so size will definately matter in whichever I choose. Also, i like having the option of adding a light or laser, so the rail is a plus also on whatever i get...so give me the pros and cons, OT

2. MTech

MTech New Member

The beretta is kinda bulky for concealed carry and doesn't have a rail for a light though you can get laser grips for it...

for ease of carry and features w/ what you listed I'd take glock but for comfort to shoot along with ease of carry I'd go XD..however they have issues and not so great customer service.

if you were taking suggestions for other guns I'd of course saw M&P and I'm sure many more would too.. and I'd say if included I'd only look @ 2 of the 4 as options the Glock and the M&P.

3. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

My universal answer for a first firearm... especially for carry is a J-Frame revolver...

then get either a Glock or S&W M&P

I'm lusting over a S&W M&P compact .40 now....

4. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i kinda want to stick with 9mm...so i guess it's looking like a glock...

whats the difference between all the different glock 19s? they have like 5 different ones. I looked at a Glock 19 at the gun store but im not sure what the differences between the models is...can anyone tell me?

I just looked at the S&W M&P, it looks awesome so that will be added to the list...though im not so hot on the grips, can u get different ones?

EDIT : I was reading up on the Glock 19 and I read a lot about there being no real "safety" which kind of makes me concerned to carry it concealed, what do u guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  5. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

i dont like revolvers :hs:

6. MTech

MTech New Member

What do you mean? they're interchangeable for 3 diff. sizes so you can find what's perfect for your hand... more than likely if you get one in your hands you'll agree it's a lot more comfortable than a glock will ever be.
    [​IMG]

7. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Fit them to your hand and see what fits you the best. Of those I like the 92FS because it is what fits me.

Also check out the CZ. I went with the Sig P226, should be here tomorrow but cant DROS it until monday. Damn USPS.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

M&P or Glock if you wanna do it right.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And I think thats about the worst choice a noob could make.

What it comes down to is no matter what any of us like or whate looks cool to you, you won't know what you actually like until you hold them and shoot them. Have you had a handgun class of some sort yet? Is there a range around you that rents guns?

You've got to get out and shoot these guns. The glock works just the same as the XD that you're considering.

10. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

its an awesome looking gun, i just think the grip looks horrid thats all :o

i am going to go to the local gun store and see if they have one though and hold it to see how it feels. Are the grips rubber or plastic?

11. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

yes there is a range, and i will be visiting it soon.

so neither have a "real" safety? its just cock it and you're ready to shoot?

12. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

you can have it shipped to you in CA? Here in NC it's gotta be shipped to a gun store and picked up...

13. MTech

MTech New Member

no you just pull the trigger.. no cocking as there's no hammer.

14. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

The Glock 19 is a solid gun if you are looking for something that handles well at the range and could also be carried.

The Glock, XD, and M&P do not have user operated safeties. Once a round is loaded into the chamber by racking the slide the gun will fire when the trigger is pressed. The Beretta requires the safety lever to be moved off safe before the pistol can be fired.

Any of these pistols is perfectly safe to carry as long as you understand and respect the operation of the gun.

15. Lightsped

Lightsped Glockaholic

As with all of these "what gun should I get" topics the answer is simple. Go to a gun store and check out everything you are interested in, then decide for yourself. Of the guns mentioned here, there are no bad choices.

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Most of your questions are addressed in my sticky at the top of the forum.

The G19 is pretty much the standard to meet for the purposes you've stated. The M&P would be my next choice, followed by a SIG P229, and then the XD.

There is, I believe, currently a great rebate going on the M&P where if you buy it new, it comes with a coupon for $50 cash back and 2 magazines (worth about $40 each). Figure a going rate on the M&P9 is about $450, and you've got a nice package for a great price.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

glock or p99

18. CKMustangCobra

Glocks have 3 internal safetys. If you don't pull the trigger... it won't fire.

Mind me asking why? I used to not like them either when I first got into guns. I thought they were old, ugly... and I didn't want something out of the "wild west"... but as I grew up and got to know guns better I actually prefer wheel guns for carry and protection. It will never let you down. Compared to autos, revolvers have no failure rate and are just so simple to use. You pull it out and fire. With some autos, when you need it you'll pull it out and it will click (or do nothing) cause a round wasn't chambered.... rack the slide, pull the trigger and hope there isn't a FTF or FTE.... then you need to clear the jam and continue... :/

Just my cup of tea... but the rule is across the board. Any quality gun will work well with training and proper maintnace.

19. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

All good guns - I prefer the XD. I've had a lot of range time with the Beretta

20. OrionDartanyu

OrionDartanyu I don't think I'm as revolutionary as Galileo, but

So how difficult is it to accidently have the trigger pulled in a proper holster while CCWing while sitting down in a car, running around, reaching in your pocket for keys, bumping against a corner on a table, anything? This is my concern with becoming CCW in a few months.

21. MTech

MTech New Member

pretty damn difficult if you get a good holster (that covers the trigger)

22. grocerylist

grocerylist New Member

Don't forget HK. The HK P2000SK or UPS Compact 9mm would be a nice start.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Resin

Resin OT Supporter

sigs?

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

It depends what you mean by a "real safety" as it has been pointed out glocks have internal safeties, that unless the trigger is pulled (with that odd looking trigger) then the gun will not fire, slam it, bump, it jolt it, it won't go off, prop it up with a sharpie to take a picture and you better make sure that it is unloaded. (well you should do that with every gun) But there is no switch-like safety.

I should point on that the XD has a grip safety as well as the safety built into the trigger, which mean the gun must be in a position so that pressure is applied to the rear of the frame, such as when a shooter is holding it. This is the same type of grip safety located on a 1911.

And yes is you rack the slide and chamber a round, you are ready to go. The biggest issue here as it is with all guns is keep your finger off the trigger at all times, unless you are firing, that includes holstering and unholstering.

I personally have no experience with a Beretta so I can't really offer any insight into them. However if I were making the choice between the glock and the XD for myself (and these were my only options) it would be a tough call for me. Ignoring the standard KB vs rust debate. The added grip safety on the XD would by a nice additional layer for me (even though in reality it probably means next to nothing) but it might be a little piece of mind. However I would probably go with the glock, as when I have had the chance to shoot both either pistol I have always preferred the glock, the XD seems to me to have a dead and lifeless trigger, just plain numb. A cop or two I've talked to that have a glock as a service weapon and then personally own an XD seem to prefer the glock for similar reasons.

Next to a well made SA/DA revolver a glock is probably the most reliable handgun for protection you can buy.

25. CKMustangCobra

What this guy said.

Any good quality gun will work well for you.

The pulling the trigger while unholstering and such.... just practice at home, unloaded of course. It's pretty difficult to accidentally PULL a trigger on a gun man. I've never had it happen.

Glocks are just balls reliable and have an awesome track record since the 80s. They are simple... which is why they work. The XD is practically the same gun with a different finish (might be the same finish now, rust fix) with some different/added safeties. Added safeties IMO is just another thing going wrong or preventing me from pulling and firing when I need to. Training is the one true safety. Finger off the trigger, the gun is safe.

If you want something to plink and carry... Glock 26 or 27. 9mm is an OK round for carry... you'll need some badass ammo for carry. The .40 is my favorite round. It is a nice average round across the board. Compared to all the other rounds it works for me. It's quick, deep enough penetration, the rounds I carry will expand to .65" or greater and the round is just the right size to not comprimise capacity. My Beretta PX4 holds 14+1 in .40... plenty.

Go to a store, hold some of these guns and find one that fits your hand. Some newer guns like the PX4 and M&P have adjustable grips... so you can make the gun fit your hand. Most have a lot of ambidexious options as well.