OT Recommend a Computer Case for me!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by baldyguy, Mar 29, 2004.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

I'm in the market for a good spacious computer case. I actually got an ATX tower and it's not big enough. I currently three Hard drives, Two Drives (DVD and CD-RW burner) and a floppy drive. I'm looking to spend no more than $100.00.

I actually modded my current case now and it gets really dusty and I need a case that gets good airflow and at the same time not too dusty. What I mean by dusty and I have a total of 10 fans! So go figure and that's why my case got so dusty. :rofl:

2. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Jesus I bet that thing sounds like a jet :eek3:

I jsut bought me a CoolMaster WaveMaster and it is sexy. I have a CDRW,DVDRW,2HD's (holds 4 I think), and no floppy but it has the space for one. But the max. number of fans you can get in there is 4 I believe. But do you really need all 10 fans?

3. baldyguy

No don't really need all the fans, but what kind of case do you guys have? What should I get?

4. baldyguy

What do you guys think about the Aspire X-SuperAlien Aluminum Mid-Tower, Antec Sonata, and the Lanboy?

5. 65 356c

65 356c Guest

the sonata is great! we use it for almost all of the computers we build, and has decent airflow if you like spending time making your wires nice and neat(like me :big grin:). its great because it only has 1 120mm fan plus the psu fans (a good quality antec true360) so it is VERY quiet. but it isnt a very big case, it only has 3 5 1/4" drive bay slots and 4 hdd and 2 3 1/2" that are on the front. also, with shipping, its over you budget.

i still really like the old antec/chieftec cases, this one is light and has GREAT airflow AND will be shipped to your door for $88. the downside to this one is that lots of ppl have them...

6. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

I love my Supermicro SC-750 its huge. 6 external 5.25"s one 1 3.5" external, 12 fan slots, 2 3.5" internals (using the 5.25" bays for the raid drives)... its like 30 inches tall :)

[​IMG]

It's more then $100 though :(

7. baldyguy

Any other feedback?

Does aluminum somewhat influence the cooling of the PC?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  8. 65 356c

65 356c Guest

some say it does, some say it doesnt. imo, if you do a good job with the wires(and have good fans), the air inside the case should only be a couple of degrees warmer than the room temp...

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Antec sonata or something from lian li.

10. Car54

Car54 Member

My antec Sonata is the best case I have ever used. I fully recommend it to anybody..

11. baldyguy

How's the cooling on the Sonata?

12. baldyguy

Do Fan Filters really work?

13. Car54

Car54 Member

the sonata fans could suck a golf ball thru a garden hose. 120mm exhaust fan, the hard drive area has a filtered inlet, and antec is cut out of the sides as a vent.

My system temp with 3 hdds and 2.0GHz is never much more than 1-3 degrees over room temp, and the air inlets are already pretty dusty, the system has only been built for a month.. it moves ALOT of air.

Ive dealt with tons of cheap ass cases at work (they buy the lowest end crap possible) and I have purchased some nice cases in the past, but nothing compares to the quality of the antec. I really like the four HDD slots that are side loading. They leave an inch or so of airspace between every drive, eliminating the need for drive coolers. You can see them in the right of this photo I took when I test fit everything before assembly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. baldyguy

How's the cooling on this badboy?