OT, Rate My Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

[​IMG]

The price you see is incorrect. I got it for right at $1,000 because of a special they were running.

2. ro.sniper

ro.sniper New Member

pretty good, especially for that price :drool:

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I got the 1705 and a buddy got a system similar to yours. We both love them.

You might want to check on the extended battery, mine had a 9 cell option and it's well worth the extra money.

Also, check to see if they have a special still running on the 3 year total coverage. I got something like 12% off my system because I bought that option so the protection only cost me $50 and it covers accidental damage and spillage. It's pimp!

Be sure to google Dell Coupons. They frequently offer 20% off certain laptops. If you are in school at a University, be sure to check with the IT department because they often have special deals for students.....I got a HUGE discount because of that.

One last thing....if you are going to be gaming, you should seriously consider 2gb of Ram. IT's not that much more expensive but it can really help with the performance of your system.

Anyways, hope those suggestions help....like I said, both my buddy and I love our computers. They are awesome!

4. Sexual Vanilla

Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked with my university, they only offer discounts with Gateway. :ugh2:

As for the RAM, I had planned on upgrading once I got the laptop as it's cheaper to do myself. How long is the battery life with the one I have currently? I'm not too worried about battery life, though I do expect a decent amount of time.

I've never had a Dell, and was a bit hesitant ordering one at first. It will be replacing a 2002 Thinkpad which was built like a tank and never had any problems whatsoever. Hopefully I will not have any hardware issues with the Dell.

5. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Read your warranty closely if you buy the Dell.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Why do you say that? Not that I don't read the warranty anyway.

7. wiseoldmofo

wiseoldmofo New Member

I wondered the same thing when I read that.

8. Coottie

That's too bad about your school...but seriously, google dell coupons. You can get close to the same level of savings and they don't cost anything. YOu just get a code to enter when ordering. I found some for up to 20% off.

Man....after reading all the dell posts on this forum I was totally skeptical about buying one.....in fact, I was down right terrified of it. But you know what, this has been one of the best computers I've ever worked with. It performs very well over long up times, it's fast, stable and I don't think it's crashed once.....well there were those BSODs when I tried to install Norton but that was Norton's fault (that's some shitty ass software).

Both mine and my friends experiences have been stellar. These Inspirion's are very well built and I'm blown away by the performance.

My comp will draw more juice than yours but when it's on a full battery, I can play WOW, with Ventrillo running in the background, WinAmp streaming audio, full graphics and brightness for right at 2 hours. Now if I'm programming or writing reports, I'll turn down the brightness and put it on max battery life and I'll get from 3 - 3.5 hours. This is with the 9 cell bat.

Dell does like to add a lot of programs that sometimes take awhile getting them off your system. But it was interesting playing around with some of these trial programs to see what they are like...so it's not all bad.

I hear people talk about doing a full reinstall of the OS but I didn't...just removed the software that I didn't want and like I said before, I'm very happy with the computer.

Anyways, hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

9. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

Asus S96J > Dell on its best day

better quality, and much faster video card and cheaper

from gentechpc.com

[​IMG]

10. Sexual Vanilla

The Inspiron I ordered was $100 cheaper than that, with the same exact specs. Actually, the Inspiron came with built in Bluetooth as well as Wireless N.

11. Sexual Vanilla

Well that's reassuring. I too have noticed the plethora of Dell bashing threads on this forum and was skeptical as well. It's good to hear that someone has had much success with them.:bigthumb:

I was supposed to receive it today, but the UPS driver came by while I was at work. :wtc: I hate those damn yellow slips.
    Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow!:x:

12. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

goyou.jpg

so you paid 100 less got a crappy dell pre-n wireless card, shit quality, no customer service and a crappy video card

high five!

13. Coottie

Actually, my friend with the same set up uses it as his primary gaming machine and it looks awesome.

N wireless hasn't been established as a standard yet so all the idiots buying those cards may have to replace them if/when the N standard is passed.

Standards are a good thing....unless you are microsoft.

Don't jump on the hate Dell bandwagon just cuz the haters are so loud on this particular forum. You would be surprised at the quality of these computers. However, you seem less interested in reality and more interested in trying to make someone feel bad.

lol and he got the same vid card you suggested.
    yayyou.jpg

14. Sexual Vanilla

:crying::crying::crying:

15. Sexual Vanilla

Just got my laptop in today...what a sweet deal. I love it!