SRS OT Psych Crew: WTF is wrong with me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jas0n, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Here's the thing. It's simple. The sounds associated with eating occasionally drive me ridiculously close to the brink of rage. It's terrible. My own eating sounds don't generally bother me. But when I hear someone else chomping, chewing, sloshing shit around in their mouth, and swallowing ... I dunno. It's bad. I saw a shrink about it at one point. She basically tried to tell me that the whole thing has to do with some near-death experience I had as a child, wherein I must've choked or something like that. No-one in my family remembers this -(including myself)- and frankly, the whole of it sounds like bullshit. Sort of like a pre-packaged catch-all response to queries like these: you had a terrible childhood experience and it's crippled you.

And at times it really seems to have done just that. I can't have a quiet dinner with my girlfriend, because the sound of her eating makes me want to put my head through a wall or something. Thankfully, she's tolerant and sympathetic to this ... and she knows that it's of course nothing against her personally. It could be anyone. In fact, restaurants are at times difficult for me, because even the clinks of silverware on a plate will set me down the path. Loud restaurants are usually okay because the ambient noise (from the music they're playing, the din of conversations, etcetra) seems to dull the offensive sounds to the point that they don't bother me. I'm not sure what that means.

In any case, this is a fairly frustrating affliction, if that is what it should be called. It's not a constant: sometimes I'll go for weeks without having any sort of problem with it. Again, the more overwhelming the sound is (as such) the worse it tends to be, or, if I'm trying to hear something in particular it's bad as well. So if I'm trying to, watch a movie for example, and someone wants a snack, it's terribly offensive.

So what do you all suggest? Is there a method for disassociating these sounds with this extreme sense of uncomfortability? Any help at all would be appreciated.

~~

Notes:
    I'm not on any medication. I do not have a history of other sorts of psychological problems, and my only phobia is of the arachno type. 23 years of age, male. Thanks again for your help.

2. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

I'm far from an expert but I'll chime in. I don't think anything's really wrong with you, you're just a rare case of something that's hard to explain. Example:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2hUeMFtHE

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

my mom has a masters in psych, ill ask her tomorrow :wavey:

because I'm very curious myself :eek3:

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I could have sworn that you made a simular post like this before a long time ago. Its not uncommon, i know a woman who will get epileptic attacks when music is played. In the brain the hearing area's are connected to the emotional area's. So its not strange when people go in rage when they hear things that they dislike. (classic water tab that drips water keeping you awake at night and driving you insane)

So, what you do against this is cheap and functional, namely 'earplugs' , not all sounds are benefitial to your sanity, its nice if you have more controll on the things you want to hear.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

my mom said its an adjustment disorder that manifests as anxiety. she said the same thing that the other person said, it probably had to do with an earlier experience, not really sure what though.

she said that identifying the event that caused the anxiety will do the most to help it, but if you cant, you can do "desensitization exercises" or take anti-anxiety medicine.

:hsughno:

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

Hi Jas0n :wavey:

I'd like to share a different perspective with you... I'm bipolar and I take medication for it. Of course, being bipolar has a lot more involved with it than people think, but there definite mood swings. One thing that absolutely sets me off is the noise of someone chewing food, swallowing food, drinking a glass of water, biting into food... it's all the same, and it all make me want to rip my hair out. When these noises are going on, they are all I can hear. I wish I could outlaw popcorn.

I'm not a psychologist, but it is suprising to know that someone else finds the same thing annoying to this extent. A pet peeve is one thing, but to have this a fuel for absolute rage is a completely different issue. Anyway, I can't diagnose you but I don't think it has anything to do with an issue when you were younger, and I don't think that it is anxiety. Sorry I can't help much, just offering my opinion on that and telling you that you're not alone :eek4:

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Sounds like something you should speak about with a professional. There are probably techniques to lessen the anxiety this situation gives you.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I know what you mean. It's only happened to me once, but one time in summer school years ago the girl next to me was eating pretzels, and the sound of her crunching on them (even with her mouth closed) was so loud and irritated me so badly that I seriously wanted to run outside and scream. I remember sitting there, waiting to start on my assignment until she was done eating, because I literally couldn't concentrate. That's the only time it's ever happened to me, tho. It's really weird. I hear people eat all the time, too.

9. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

short term answer: Get some earplugs?

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Jason, what ended up happening with this? I know this was 4 years ago.

11. Hemps

Hemps New Member

What happens when you're begin to feel the rage? Has it ever splashed over into violence? Or just extreme frustration?

Perhaps you could benefit from some form of exposure therapy.

12. Hemps

Hemps New Member

Oh wow....I should definitely read the dates before responding :rofl:

13. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

He shot up a cafeteria

14. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Jesus....who bumps a 4 fucking year old thread? Oh an :03: that's who.

15. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

This happens to me when I'm around my dad while he's eating. Only thing is he chews with his mouth open.