OT, please help me with a few questions about building my own computer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scrumpdillyumptious, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Thanks for clicking.

I'd like to know a good motherboard and CPU combo if I want a totally souped up, absolutely top of the line computer. I've searched on Amazon and the best one they have it seems is the Intel BOXED PENTIUM 4 3.4GHZ EE-HT 512K 2M 800FSB S775 ( BX80532PG3400FS ). This seems like it's pretty damn good, but I'll need a good motherboard that goes with it. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering, if I build my own computer, would this be a lot cheaper than just going out and buying one? The main reason I want to build my computer is to save money after all. Like say I do actually use that processor up there with a great motherboard. Is is more worth it than just going out and buying a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5?

Thanks a lot.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't build a machine to save money over Dell. You can't compete on cost with someone who buys parts by the truckload. Build your own to get a better quality machine than Dell would ever dream of building.

Intel motherboards > * for stability. My current machine is Intel on Intel and its easily the most stable machine I've ever owned and the only one that isn't begging for replacement at 3 years old.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

As far as I know, my ex-gf is still using my P3-750MHz... One of the many things she never returned to me... And I got the 750MHz (Socket 370, of course) back when that was one of the "ooooohhhhh aaahhhhh" chips to have. That Intel mobo is still kicking, too! That was at least 6 years ago that I built that...

You cannot beat Intel for reliability!

As far as I know, the only thing ever replaced in that machine is the HSF... She called me about a year and a half ago crying, and I went over and fixed it for a slight "fee". :mamoru: