A&P OT photogs school me on filters.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Jan 14, 2007.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

I want to buy a good set of filters, cp, nd and grad nd, but i don;t want to buy a set for each one of my lenses. Do they sell ring adapters? If so what filters do you guys suggest. I am from film and i just use to use tiffen and hoya.

What size should i buy? 77mm? And then step them down with an adapter?

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Tiffen is crap, fyi.

If you really want to do it right, get a Lee wide angle matte box/filter holder and use 4x4" glass filters. That's the best way to ensure you only get one set of filters, regardless of what size lens you have. Cons: cost, size and setup time.

Alternately, get screw-in filters to fit your largest lens, then step-up rings for all your smaller lenses. Cons: limited flexibility, potential vignetting on stacked filters and problems using some lens hoods.

Whatever filters you buy, don't go cheap, they'll flare and reduce the performance of your lenses. You can get rebranded Hoya filters cheap, as the Calumet house brand at http://www.calumetphoto.com/

3. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

cool so hoya or lee

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

This is the way to go. You get a ring mount to suit each size lens and use the same filter holder and filters for each lens.

Another option is the Cokin P series. They are no where near as good as the Lees, but at 1/4 the price :naughty:

5. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Also B+W or Heliopan if you can afford them.

Depending on the lenses you use, and what you shoot, you may not need to buy filters that are that expensive though. Hoyas are fine for most users, Lee/Cokin X-Pro are fine for most users of square/rectangular filters.

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I also recomend checking the manufacturer's websites so you can become familiar with exactly what they offer.

I researched Hoya filters (also looked at other brands of course) for 2 or 3 days before I bought a Pro1 67mm CP off ebay for $73 shipped from Hong Kong.

B&H wanted $150 for the same filter.

So shop around for sure.