A&P **OT PHOTOGRAPHY CREW** come in here please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Justin Niggalake, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

me and a few of my buddies (none of us know SHIT about photography) want to put in to get a basic starter slr camera to take pictures of people at various nightclubs for a website.

based on previous digital camera experience, i know that nikon & canon make some of the best cameras.

i was just browsing the ritz camera site and came across this nikon d40 slr package (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/S...cameras-and-accessories;cislr-digital-cameras) that looks pretty tempting. think it'll be an ok camera to take into a night club environment to take decent pictures for website viewing only?

thanks in advanced

2. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

It seems as though the Canon 20d is the de facto standard when it comes to club photography in Los Angeles at least.

You are also going to want a flash. The 580exII is a good choice.

3. austincabot

austincabot New Member

20d, 50mm f/1.8, 580exII

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

when you say club photography, are you referring to shots of people in the club similar to napkinnights.com or shots of the club for marketing/advertising?

im not kidding when I say most of the club photographers you find will have a very basic setup (d40/d50/XT/XTi with kit lens and on-board flash) and they do just fine. Here are a couple shots taken at various events:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

both of these were taken with an XT, kit lens and on-board flash. now if you're looking to get creative with your shots, you may want to look into a better lens (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8) and an external flash (Nikon SB600 or Canon equivalent) but aren't as necessary. just make sure the lens you have is wide enough (18mm at the least).

5. Justin Niggalake

all im seeing is rebel xt's and 30ds listed on wolf camera/ritz

6. Justin Niggalake

yeah u hit the nail on the head... just looking for basic shots like the ones you posted. i'm sure a better lens will come down the line but for right now we're just looking for a decent camera + flash

7. tenplanescrashing

then any DSLR will work for you. I recommend getting the d40 kit, a d80 kit, an XT kit or an XTi kit. you should have extra batteries and cards just incase too.

8. Justin Niggalake

also, i'm not sure what kind of equipment this guy uses, but he's always taking shots for his personal portfolio and they seem to come out pretty good... except for the whole trailing light effects that i don't like too much

i hardly ever see him use a flash and i'm pretty sure he doesn't use a stock lens

http://www.flampy.net

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

I use my 430ex with home made diffuser, custom brackets QR35 PJ, and sigma 18-50 2.8 or 30 1.4, or 10-20 4-5.6. depends on how corwded its gonna be. If its a big name dj though i always us the1850 fr th xtra rech.

10. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

any camera with an external flash will do

set the exposure at around 60, f stop as slow as you can go and shoot with flash..easy enough

11. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

my typical settings. M mode. @ 1/20, f/5.6 or so. So i make sure to get ambient as well as good dof for their faces

12. tenplanescrashing

there is more going on there but for simplicity sake, all he is doing is using a flash to stop the subject and leaving the shutter open longer to get trailing lights. it's a pretty common club effect.

13. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

k im here