MIL OT pay people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by widds2v, Nov 25, 2008.

1. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Does break in service make you start over on the payscale? As far as I understand, if you do 5 years, then get out a couple of years, then go back in you only have to do 15 years to have your 20 for retirement. How does pay work though? If I were to get out with 5 years, do college for 6, then go back in as an O3 would I start with O3 pay with <1 year service or O3 with 5 years?

And what about ribbons & warfare devices, do those stay no matter how long you stay out or are there time limits on all of this?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You get the Time In Service and Time In Rank from your prior service.

So if you do 5 years with one year as an E5, decide to get out, and then come back in as an E5 a few years later, your Time In Service and your Time In Rank starts counting again right where you left off. If you come back in as an O3 you will still have 5 years of service as far as the pay scale goes.

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

nice, looking at the Navy's medical programs. I'd want to do the first 4 years on the GI bill so I get some freedom, but once I hit grad school, they'll pay the tuition and $2,000/mo stipend.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

$2300/mo jump in base pay from where I am now as E5 to O3 :noes: