OT Opinion: Used Isuzu Axiom

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Maverick, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Maverick

Maverick Guest

I really like the look of the Isuzu Axiom, and lately I've been looking for prices on the 4WD 2002-2003 Axioms under $20k. Would there be anything to worry about? Any uncommon problems? What about the tranny and engines? Do they have good power? Most of these Axioms have the factory warranty, so I can have anything I want replaced if it's going to break!

2. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

3. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

This would be just about the worst car purchasing decision ever made.

4. 93CivicEX

93CivicEX Charming, Dashing, Rental car bashing

thats a worse idea than buying a new pontiac with plans of reselling it in 2 years.

5. SoKo

SoKo New Member

extreme depreciation

6. Maverick

Maverick Guest

That's what I've been seeing, alot of 2002's are going for 15k w/ less than 30k miles, that's $7500 a year as depreciation. But other than that are they reliable? What about off-road capabilities?

7. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

off-road? :rofl:

8. Derek

Derek OT Supporter

Top 10 SUVs With the Worst Residual Value

The percentage following the vehicle is the total amount of depreciation that takes place over five years and 15,000 miles per year. The bigger the number, the worse it is. Keep in mind that the depreciation percentages are based on the national TMV price plus typical options plus destination charge.

1. Isuzu Rodeo Sport — 68.90%

2. Isuzu Ascender — 68.74%

3. Isuzu Rodeo — 68.33%

4. Chevrolet Tracker — 67.22%

5. Isuzu Axiom — 66.96%

6. Suzuki Grand Vitara — 66.78%

7. Oldsmobile Bravada — 66.63%

8. Ford Explorer Sport — 66.22%

9. Kia Sorento — 65.57%

10. Suzuki Vitara — 65.46%

9. mucky

mucky .

10. Tommy

Tommy Long Member Standing

I'm suprised to see Olds Bravado on there. I thought since they are based on Blazers that they would hold some value.

11. mucky

mucky .

With the whole brand going away by the end of this year, the depreciation on Oldsmobile has skyrocketed. Its too bad too. They were just on the heels of making a good lineup of products. :hs:

12. Tommy

Yeah they were. Poor marketing.

13. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Okay. Aside from the fact that it'll be worth nothing in 3 years, what about reliability?!?!? Will this car break down evey 6 months or what?!!? Someone laughed at me mentioning off-roading. To me "off-roading" in my town is having a little fun on the dirt roads.

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I love my '99 Amigo, but no, I wouldn't buy another Isuzu. That bit about the depreciation is 100% true. I think my '91 TBird Super Coupe is worth more, and that's a FORD. Here are the common problems for the 3.2L/3.5L (yes, good power though)

-Oil consumption: Isuzu says that up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable. :madfawk:
    -EGR: will get gummed up, due to the oil consumption, and needs to be cleaned every 15000 miles or so (easy at home job, but why have to do it?) :madfawk:
    -On my '99, the gas gauge sending unit is one piece with the pump. The sending units are failing left and right, but to fix it you have to pay for the whole unit. Not cheap. I don't think that's an issue for '01's up, but I'm not sure. :madfawk:

I love my Amigo, it's very tough & capable off road for having IFS. I've wheeled it reliably from NC to TX, but I won't buy another Isuzu. The Axiom is not intended for offroad, it doesn't have any clearance.

I don't think there will be anything but commercial Isuzu's in a few years either. They are severing ties with GM, who has been the major stock holder for years. The Ass-ender sucks (it's a Trailblazer), they killed off the Trooper, the Rodeo/Rodeo Sport (Amigo) is going away due to Isuzu pulling out of the IN plant. Just not the one to buy now.

15. Tommy

I had an older Trooper and it was a POS. It had great off roading capabilities, but the reliabilty sucked big time. If you want solid, reliable, cheap off road capable vehicle, look into a V-6 Cherokee.

16. mucky

mucky .

[​IMG]

17. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Words of wisdom. The Cherokee rocks.

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

So, 368 problems per 100 Isuzus, or about 3 each. That's pretty much the 3 I listed too. People that don't know better about that EGR cleaning will take it to the dealer every year or so and pay for a new EGR.
    I will say that otherwise the thing has been rock solid. It's just that the common problems are so annoying.

19. mucky

mucky .

Except that, Cherokees never came in a V6. :o

20. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I think you mean an I6. ;)

21. Tommy

:uh:

Sorry, I meant the 4.0L I6. :o

22. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

My wife purchased a Axiom in May of 2002. MSRP was $29,455, after 12 months it was worth $17,500 trade in value. 22 months later the trade in value has dropped to $13,500. This is a vehicle with every option except for sunroof and only has 14,000 miles. :mad:

23. dank

dank fuck yeah

um, having fun on a dirt road would be on-roading :slap: