A&P OT Nikon crew, teach me more about M exposure mode

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by axio, Oct 5, 2007.

1. axio

axio New Member

Does anyone even use it? I've been fooling around with it but can't get any decent results on my d70, so I've been sticking with aperture priority mode for now. What settings should I use in M exposure mode?

2. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Look at the meter? I usually keep my camera on aperture priority until I shoot at night and my camera underexposes the shit out of the photo (I have a D70s as well). Then when I shoot manually I "overexpose" like 3 stops and check the histogram/highlights option to make sure I didnt lose any detail. I dunno if that answers your question.

3. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

whatever settings give you proper exposure... :ugh: You're camera has a built in meter for a reason... use it.

4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i honestly use it about 1 percent of the time. i used to always use it but then when i realized how powerful aperture priority was it really let me worry about composition and timing, not shutter speeds and fstops.

5. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

I've read the manual, but is there a way to use the light meter to give you all exposure information? When I have it in A mode, I can get the light meter's shutter speed reading and when I'm in S mode I can get the aperture reading. There a mode I can use to show me both?

6. axio

axio New Member

Your*

& I'm using the meter to adjust accordingly. I'm asking more along the lines of white balance settings, etc. It seems like the settings I use in aperture priority work and look great, but when I switch over to manual I can get the picture to look decent but not as vivid. The main thing I've been playing around with has been white balance.

7. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Manual is great when you're shooting under lighting conditions that don't change much:

sports on a clear sunny day (no clouds)
    Long exposures as night or dusk (camera often meters too bright)
    shooting indoors with a flash

Just any time there's not a lot of change in light intensity, OR when the camera's meter is way off.

8. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Here's the quick answer.

When you're looking through the viewfinder, theres a little bar meter. That is your light meter.

If the bar is to the right, it's gonna end up over exposed. Left - under exposed.

So, take your camera, and guess at the shutterspeed and aperture. Then half click to see where the bar goes. Then, move your aperture or shutter speed to compensate for that.

Ideally, you want the bar somewhere near the middle. Once you have it there, shoot.

and poof. Instant good exposure.

9. axio

axio New Member

Aperture priority is great, but I want to learn the camera inside and out. I feel really gimped when using manual mode :o

10. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

If you're shooting RAW just make sure you haven't clipped any individual color channels (unless the clipping occurs in an unimportant part of the image) and you're golden (usually)

11. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i only use M

12. axio

axio New Member

Excellent details, Mr Vonnegut ;)

13. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter