MIL OT Military : Advice needed (Or anyone with advice)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Barkode, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

I was just wondering if you could offer advice to me. I'm 18 years old and in college. Basicaly, I didn't have the money to go to even a state school, and I go to a local university on a commuter half tution scholarship so I live with my parents still. It's a Catholic school, and I'm catholic, but I'm really not the go to church/read the bible every day type of catholic so I don't really fit in here. High school was fun because people there were more like me, and I was smart, and got above average grades. The problem is I just lack motivation to even go to class anymore - I see it as worthless, even though I know I'm wrong, because this isn't where I want to be. So I'm failing out of school and my parents are going to cut what little money they can donate to my tuition. They don't even know yet. I did pretty bad last semester and they told me to get my act together and I haven't. I have a part time job that isn't the best, but its money, and its all I want - to just have a job and be out of school at this point in my life.

So seeing as I'm failing and need to withdrawl ASAP from my classes to save my GPA, I've been seriously thinking about what I want to do with my life. It's always been it the back of my head to join the military, but I just wanted some opinions and experiences of other people to help me make my life what I know it should be - better. The other branches just seem to basic and dull and don't even appeal to me, but I've always looked at the Coast Guard with interest.

So if anyone could help that would be great. Anyone can reply with suggestions, but I'd really like to ask some people who have experienced being in the military(any branch, but hopefully USCG) some questions. Thanks.

Edit for clarity: I'm not asking you to convince me why I'm an idiot for thinking the other branches are dull, I just want advice on joining the military in general, specifically the CG.

2. hxcjohn

hxcjohn Guest

Whats up man. I know EXACTLY what your going thru. i did the same thing. in college, failing in my classes. needed to do somthing new with my life. And now im in the USAF. My dad was in the USCG for 10 years, and its awesome all the storys he has. I chose airforce over coast guard pretty much for the fact that i dont like being on boats much (yeah i know thats not all they do but whatever). The military is a pretty good deal. Money for college and all, pay isnt to bad. Im having alot of fun... i get to talk to officers everyday, including 1,2,3 star generals, and its awesome to hear all the storys they have. But dont get me wrong, its got its downsides sure, but everything does. well i dont really know what else to say but definitly email me if you have any questions (i bet i didnt even answer any of your questions haha). i'll PM you my email and all.

3. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

First off, you seem burned out from school. It happens to everyone. You spend 12 years of your life going to school all the time. Maybe a break is what you need. In the military you'll not only get money for school, you'll also get some sort of technical skill that can only make you successful in life after the service.

My brother was going to join the coast guard, but there were some issues and miscommunications between him and the recruiter, so he decided on teh army instead. Now, he's ground pounding in Iraq until April. With all of that, I couldn't be prouder, and have never looked up to him (he's older) more than I do know.

As for the military itself, it's so much more IMO than just a tuition. You'll learn life skills that you may have not learned as a child/teenager (I don't want to assume, I don't know your life history). It will build your confidence all around, will make you mentally and physically stronger, etc.

Also...with the whole Homeland Security stuff, the CG is more active now than ever. They are highly involved in assisting DEA and ICE in the drug war on the waters. You'll also get to to the greatest thing known to man, save a life. If you only get to do it once, it's awesome, something that is unexplainable, and not easily recreated in any way, shape or form.

I say go for it.

4. surreal1221

surreal1221 Guest

www.google.com

search for us military, select the one with the url that has us.military.about or something in it.

Im in the AF as an aviation meteorologist, and love it everyday. The quality of life is the best out of all the branchs, so I dont know why anyone would want to go anywhere else. If your really gung ho. . . the AF has Special Op fields that you can enter. And if not, the AF has many desk jobs. Check it out.

5. Barkode

Barkode Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys. If I think of any questions (I'm sure I will, I'm just tired right now) I'll ask. One thing I should've said is that I know the mil would be good for me as far as teaching discipline is concerned, which goes right along with what you guys said.