OT Mac and DJ Crew! Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LooneyTuned, Nov 19, 2006.

1. LooneyTuned

LooneyTuned Oil? Bitch you cookin OT Supporter

Hey guys,

i know there are definitly some ot dj's that are on macs.

I really needed some help, can anyone reccomend any good software to help for mixing and dj'ing. Something for both beginners and advanced or both whatever i dont care. someone help a nukka out.

:sadwavey:

2. MP

MP New Member

do you want to use your mac by itself, or w/ tables / decks?

Just the laptop = MegaSeg

I've been using it for about a year now. It's solid, you can beat match, adjust bpm/tone. It's more on the basic side but it gets the job done and I can't recall it ever crashing.

the next step is Serato Scratch Live. Look it up. It's easily one of the most innovative programs to come out for the mac/pc. Mine is on the way paired w/ a couple of 1210's :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: It's rather expensive but WELL worth it. A good buddy of mine has it and anytime he's doing a gig or party I come and do a lil 30 min set or so. :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

so excited

3. LooneyTuned

Wow dude thanks!! that helps alot.

Pics of your setup?

i wish this wasnt such an expensive hobby. I wanna start so bad, but as a student the funds are a litle low. will serato hook up to cdj's?

4. cuttin' wax

cuttin' wax New Member

im saving for serato right now.... im tired of buying vinyl :hsd: Ableton Live is a good program for strictly laptop mixing as well. serato, as i understand it, is geared more towards vinyl dj's.

5. cuttin' wax

cuttin' wax New Member

yes, serato comes with control cds for cdj's:bigthumb:

6. LooneyTuned

Cool!! Thanks thats interesting to know!

7. LooneyTuned

So i just used megaseg and i like it the one thing that i hate though is that, ive made a shit load of playlists on my itunes i wish i could just take them from my itunes and drag them over to megaseg. unless im missing something.

8. MP

MP New Member

true, I can't really see any MAJOR advantage over either. The only difference for me is that I've used serato a lot and love how crisp and responsive it is. I'm sure final is jut as good.

9. MP

MP New Member

Serato comes w/ both vinyl and cd's. Replacements are only about $10 - $20 depending on where you get them.

my set up doesn't really compare to a normal one. My set up depends on a few things. The day, the crowd, and what I am doing. Here is a pic when I am working upstairs on a saturday.

[​IMG]

I have the laptop running into ch1 on the mixer (which is actually 2 channels on megaseg - it splits them up automatically) and the cdj's into ch2 & 3. Makes for an easy night paired with unlimited results. To the right is just the light machine. I won't have my tables for another month because I was just a tad in debt and just recently paid all my bills and got up to speed with everything. From here on out anything extra I end up w/ goes towards my new set up...which once I finish I will get a nice raise from where I DJ at on the weekends :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

10. MP

MP New Member

yeah buying vinyl sucked but I'm more on the argument that I just can't find everything I want/need on vinyl. It's nearly impossible to get/find the really crazy shit on vinyl vs online. + a decent audio editing program = fully original music that you can't get on vinyl unless you get it made yourself which is rather pointless unless your rich.

11. MP

MP New Member

From my experience playlists don't work when you are DJing. It's hard to explain but some of my best nights ever are when I have 1 min to get the next song ready and I don't even know what it's going to be. It's a tad nerveracking when people are talking to you but easily some of my best work comes from being semi-random.

I split it up into genres at the most. I decide what genre to play and everything else is kinda whatever I come up with at the moment. The one really good thing to plan out are transition songs.

For example Walk This way can easily go w/ both hip-hop/rap or rock/classic rock. Jamiriqueawgiarg can transition into pop or house/dance, and so forth. The possibilities are endless and 99% of it depends on the occasion.

12. LooneyTuned

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: Thats so awesome! Rapture you have been amazingly helpful man! Cant wait to get into the world of DJ'in(any good places to start learnin about things?), its something that could never get boring because music always changes, the crowd is always different, and well u are always in control of what is being played!!

13. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

I use Serato almost religiously.