GUN OT learn me about AR's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Noparking, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Noparking

Noparking Platinum Member OT Supporter

I know right now this is one of the very worst times(money wise) to be buying an AR. My question to you is what brands should I be looking at? Also how much should I be looking at paying for either new or used? I really don't feel like building one myself at this point(I might look for lowers to build in the future).I'm going to be going to the gun show this weekend to start my search for my next gun, so any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :wavey:

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

3. If you're looking to plink at short range, most any AR would work for you. If you're looking for a long range gun, you will want something suited specifically to that task. You're going to have to define your purpose for this gun before you know what to start looking at.

As far as prices go, they're all over the place now, so who knows what you'll find.

4. Noparking

I would like to use this one for longer range stuff, I think in the future I will try to build something for close range stuff.

5. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

6. In that case, you are going to look for a longer barrel (i'd say at least 18".) Depending on your intended ammo you're going to have to choose a twist rate that will work. If you're looking to varmint with 36gr loads, you'll want something with a real slow twist rate. If you're looking to shoot heavier bullets, you'll want 1:7 or 1:9. If you're interested in real accuracy at longer ranges, you'll want something with a heavier barrel profile and a freefloat handguard setup (this can be changed pretty easily, but you'd be better off finding one with what you want.) Also, make sure it has a sturdy stock that you can get a consistent cheek weld with. Any of the major manufacturers are fine at building this type of rifle, and until you want to get really serious with accuracy they'll all be fine.

7. Not a bad rifle, to be sure, but if he's interested in long range shooting, there are much better choices.

8. If you're intent is to use a scope primarily, then look for one without a fixed front sight too.

9. xpinchx

10. That's a pretty good price.

11. Noparking

as far as putting all the pieces together if i was going to do it that way how easy is it?

12. If you can get an assembled lower and that assembled upper, it's literally pushing 2 pins. If you want to try assembling a lower, it's a bit more complicated, but not hard at all.

13. xpinchx

As long as you buy a complete upper all you have to worry about is installing the LPK, which most people say they can do in 30 mins their first time. Just print out the guides and/or watch the videos while you do it and you should be fine.

14. Dadilius

Dadilius New Member

This is what I'm hoping.....easy assembly. Course, my lower is still 4 weeks out :wtc:

And Del-Ton still hasn't shipped my parts kit :hsugh:

15. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Here's an article on how to completely assemble a lower receiver. It's not simple, but it doesn't require any kind of specialized training or equipment. So if you can follow basic written instructions with pictures, you'll be in great shape.

Here's a link to a site where they sell complete kits that are very inexpensive. I've had consistently good luck with them, as have customers who have bought the rifles we've built with these kits.

www.akpartskits.com

In theory, you should be able to build a nice AR for under $600, if you can find a stripped lower receiver for under $200 or so. The uppers from the site above come completed and headspaced, you just build the lower and snap it all together. Optics sold separately.

If you want a complete weapon, and don't want to assemble anything, DPMS makes a pretty decent rifle that can be had comparatively cheap.

16. dunkinskeleton

dunkinskeleton New Member

I have pretty much the same question as the original poster...but I live in California and need to know where I can find a lower that would be legal and how much I would expect to pay.

17. Noparking

so i just buy the kit, then buy a lower, and then assemble the lower with the parts from the "kit"?

18. Exactly. You'll need a buttstock assembly too. The only tools you need to assemble the lower are a set or roll pin punches, a hammer, and the $5 wrench to tighten the castle nut. People have also used vice grips in place of roll pin punches.

19. Noparking

Does any place still have any lowers in stock?

20. Noparking

does anyone else have any recommendations on kits? i just picked up 2 lowers

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I assume you're talking about lower parts kits? Pretty much any brand of kit you can find will be good to go. I have a Bushmaster kit in a bag sitting next to me which looks fine. I have a CMMG kit in my AR and it's fine too.

22. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

Who in Portland has lowers in stock? And what brands?