Ot IT Pros need career advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chips, Aug 25, 2005.

1. chips

chips ...

Ok OT, I am 19, making 33k for a help desk company who does it outsourcing.
    I dont know what i do now, my goal is to be a windows server admin.

setting up AD dealing with Group policys domain contollers exchange and that kind of stuff. Should i go to college? or just get certs?

I allready know most of the stuff I still need to learn about exchange
    but i can design and build a full network runing a domain, VPN, RIS server and Terminal Services.

So Ot what should i do to get to the nice cussy job of windows server admin?

also how much do you think the job above makes?

Thanks OT!

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

ABSOLUTELY keep your current job. You already have your foot in the door, ass in the seat, and can build networking and more importantly, experience.

See what compensation that company has for education. Although you don't learn "administration" in college, you should still aim for a college degree. It will be tough to go to college and keep a full time job.

The salary range is wide for NT admins ( 40 - 100+ ), but there are plenty of them so you are going to have some competition.

3. chips

chips ...

Theres no way im leaving this place, i love the job and company will pay for 3k a yr of school But what should i go for school wise? there is a ITT here but can i really learn anything? in the past i have worked with grads of that school and never been empressed...

4. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

with a degree you have a better shot at getting into a more prestigious/bigger company
    otherwise you can only go so far with experience and certs
    look for a school like
    www.devry.edu that offer courses in network admin
    http://www.devry.edu/programs/network_systems_administration/about.jsp
    or
    http://www.mtsierra.edu/campus_p_telecom.php
    which should be a breeze for you

from there on you have the choice of going wherever you want in that field
    + if you ever plan to have a family it sets a good example for your kids

theres this guy at my school who is 40something and he said he wanted to finish school because he's had job offers he is qualifed for but they wanted someone with a degree
    so dont wait too long

5. chips

chips ...

only bad thing is theres nothing in my area besides ITT and i cannot do all o the stuff online at the ones you showed me..

6. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

whats wrong with itt?
    http://www.itt-tech.edu/teach/list/dcst.cfm

why not online?
    besides itll cost way more than taking classes on-campus? :o

7. chips

chips ...

its just some of the ppl who came out of the school here really dont know anything. and iv heard of ppl downing ITT grads

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I would hire ITT grads before Devry or Mt Sierra any day if just based on education. And its not really the education that matters, its the piece of paper and the experience.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I would hire Devry people over ITT and Mt. Sierra. :o
    And I'd hire Mt. Sierra people over ITT. :o

10. chips

chips ...

11. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Do you actually do hiring of IT staff?

If so would you go that order?

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No, I don't hire staff unless I need a graphic designer for one of my projects. I said that based through people who I know, and know a good chunk of people who graduated from all three of those schools. One of my e-buddies graduated from DevRy about three years ago, and he's probably the best programmer I've met. (That is only one person, yes, I know). Over ITT, I only know a few people, and none of them have jobs. One in particuarly is a close friend who graduated with a degree in EE at ITT. He couldn't get a job, so now he's a pastor in a church. As for Mt.Sierra, I received my degree from Mt. Sierra, and know a shitload of people there as well. A lot of them are dumbasses but there are some who know their shit as well. As for jobs, I don't know a single graduate who does not have a job related to their field at Mt. Sierra.

Edit: Oh, and do you actually know anything about Mt. Sierra? :o It's a CA based school and you're in MI.

13. Dos Equis4

Dos Equis4 nebraska democrat (oxymoron?)

I havent read the replies but.. this is just from my experience..

The knowledge of exchange and all that is good to have. However you will find that when you get to a company you will be supporting their apps more than anything else. Most places already have domains and all that stuff setup and you probably wont be dealing with that kind of like like 95% of the time, depending on your position of course.

For your goal, keep your job and do school. You will want a bachelors. I have an associates. Trust me, you want a bachelors for the profile of position you want given the current market and competition. Most of the time you will be maintaining AD, and not necessarily setting it up since most places already have it.

Experience is more important, BUT education will set your resume apart from others. In nebraska, i would say a job like that would pay 50-75k.

14. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Yea actually I do, the company that I do IT hiring for has three locations in California (Petulama, LA, Lake Elsinore) . And I have a co-worker here in Michigan and one in Petaluma both have degrees in Graphic Design from Mt Sierra (I didn't personally hire either, nor do I work directly with either). It is a small world...

I have met many people who have IT/IS degrees from Devry including my neighbor who has no clue how systems really work. It does not surprise me that he works in the insurance business and not in IT. (I think he went to school in San Diego area??? Some were in South California)

But I have a couple friends who are instructors at ITT in Grand Rapids along with a couple graduates. They all seem to have more of a 'desire' to learn more and to know all they can - geeks... We also have a General Manager in Albuquerque who has her degree from ITT.

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I was always under the impression that we did our hiring in-house?? It's usually handled by the career services department. I guess there are certain exceptions... I've heard of none, anyway. :dunno:

Edit: Oh yeah. I also used to work for the school for some time. :dunno: I'm pretty sure they do hiring in-house :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  16. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

i can name a handful of people who have IT jobs that didnt go thru career services at MSC

17. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

They did that on their own though. The school didn't claim a recruiter to do that for them. I didn't get my job through the school either. I got mine through monster.

And NUMEROUS recruiters contacted me, but it wasn't because of Mt. Sierra, they actually got my info again, from Monster.

18. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

bob told me he was gonna let career services know that i would be looking for a job
    when i told him i already had something in the works he sounded surprised :hsugh:

19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:mamoru: