[OT] Improve performance with water

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Slightly off topic (sorry - not referring to water cooling either). This might fit better in the fitness forum, but I hang out here more often and thought this info might get better use here.

This semester I experimented with trying to make some change to improve my grades. It ended up being something so simple I almost overlooked it: WATER.

I found I was having minor concentration issues on my quizes - making silly mistakes here and there. I took a big ol' water bottle good for hiking (bigger than my water bottles I use for biking) and I'd spend the 2nd half of the day finishing it off (class was at 8pm). A friend of mine told me you weren't fully hydrated until you were pissing clear. My goal was to be fully hydrated a few hours before class.

The results? I was impressed. The class is pre-calc. I've taken it before and had a D in the class. I took it again last year and couldn't stand the prof - I didn't like her teaching style and I was doing terrible on the quizes. I dropped that class after 2 to 3 weeks. This semester I ended up with the same prof but this time was determined to stick it out. I haven't taken the final (thats next week) but so far I've got 483 points out of 500 (which is 96%).

So for anyone stuck with a mental block or having slight concentration problems, give water a whirl. For those who write code, this maybe pretty handy to know...

2. true, plus, dehydration is the leading cause of daytime fatigue.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Good info, Astro.

It's ALWAYS good to be hydrated well.

But remember there is such thing as over-hydrating.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

thats why they say you should limit your intake to something like 2L (I think that was teh figure, maybe someone can correct me on that.) :bigthumb:

also I bet you find that you're staying more healthy by drinking all that water. I know that definitely helps me out... usually I'd have been sick by now but I've stayed healthy (knock on wood)

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

gonna try it if I can ever rip the pepsi hand out of my bottle, I drink that all day :hs:

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Soda is bad..

I used to be a Pepsi junkie.. but after I finally stopped drinking soda all together, I feel 100% better.. My teeth feel cleaner, my stomach never hurts anymore, etc etc.

Stick with water or some type of juice.

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yeah, i think i have a perma-coffee cup attached to my right had :eek3: Very interesting thought.... I'm pretty used to drinking a lot of water out here in AZ anyways because it's always so dry/hot, but i'm sure that i need all that much MORE hydration for the fact that it is so hot/dry out here

8. be careful, most juices have almost as much sugar as any soda ...

9. I drink a lot of coffee AND a lot of water ... I'll kill an 8cup pot of coffee and drink 2 quarts of water before dinner ...

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

join the caffine addict club :bigthumb:

coffee and cigs own me :ugh:

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I learned a good chunk about coding + water + caffiene from my assembler class.

Caffiene (as I learned from a nursing friend) is great for a jump start. It'll get your body processing things a bit quicker. So I usually nurse a Pepsi in the morning and one in the afternoon and I try to limit it at just that.

I was thinking to myself, what am I going to do about water? Ugh. I kept my Pepsi in the morning routine so I could jumpstart my body after a long night of homework and 3-4 hours of sleep. Then in the afternoon I took in water. Just enough to piss clear :). On the drive to school (~40min) I'd have my 2nd pop - with the idea I was hydrated and the pop was going to dehydrate me a little, but it would give me a jump start for class and cover my dinner (not the healthiest approach). For me, this seemed to do the trick.

Caffiene (as told by my assembler prof) kills your concentration. And for coding, you have to juggle a lot mentally and if you can't concentrate, you're no longer juggling and no longer working effectively. I had been doing web dev and it was usually never a problem for me.

But taking the water in the afternoon, wow - HUGE difference. Caffiene in the afternoon usually kept me awake, but the water actually did a better job. I actually felt awake and not jittery. And I felt I was thinking clearer, even though I had 3-4 hours of sleep.

And testing taking - again wow! Huge difference there. I suck at test taking. I usually mentally freak out and I lose my concentration. This time I freaked out, but immediately was able to focus on the problem and either recall how to solve the problem or remember how to work it on the calculator and then work the problem backwards (to show work). I had many cases where I solved the problem and double checked it and actually realized I made a mistake. Before I would double check my work, and I'd be kind of glazed over from taking the test I would miss a lot of simple mistakes.

So I'm a little nervous about taking calc - but I'm definitely going to take in the water... I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this is the trick. I'm also kicking myself for this being so easy, why didn't I try it 10 years earlier?! Oh well...

12. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I drink water all the time. I always have a couple of gallons here in the room. I would drink even more if MSU didn't have such bad water, and I had to buy everything I drink. :(

13. Leb_CRX

I fortunatly dont have any kind of stomack pains...yet anyways

I knew someone in beirut, my neighbour actually when I was growing up there, use to drink soda 24/7, and he had to get an operation done on stomach, and what I remember him tellng me was it was cause it was related to the constant drinking

I drink about 4 cans a day...I need to cut down, but whenever I DONT drink it, after dinner, I notice my stomach has hard time digesting, anyone had that? water or juice just wont cut it...might be a mental thing, but I dont think so...especially noticable with heavy foods, like pizza, it's bad

and pizza puts me to sleep, no idea why :o

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

I'll tell you why you can't digest it -- its because your stomach can digest food alot faster with all the extra acid in the soda in there... when you don't have the extra acid, it seems slower because its only your natural acids breaking down the food.

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

pumped right from the red cedar to your tap! :o

16. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I might as well stroll down to the river and fill my bottle up. :ugh:

17. Leb_CRX

so will this make problems for my stomach's ability to procude natural gas at all or it's just lending a hand?

18. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sort of.

Pop/soda does have acid and acid will break down the food, but the acid from the pop isn't going to help in transfering the food items into the body.

Thats where caffeine comes in. Caffeine accelerates many of the bodies functions, including digestion. I've got a friend working at a local hospital and they actually provide caffeine drips (obviously not pure caffeine - but designed to hydrate and speed up various systems so medication and such are processed quicker).

19. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I was getting to the point where i was drinking anywhere from 3-7 cans of soda a day, depending on the circumstances. I have been trying to cut back, but I have trouble drinking water (I hate the taste), so i started trying to introduce healthier things into my diet, such as Sunny Delight, and Ovaltine.
    I, luckily, haven't gotten any of the bad side effects that most people get from over-caffienation, except for insomnia.

20. BlazinBlazer Guy

yeah, but then just think of all the drunk fratboys who strolled down to the river and either barfed or pissed into it :eek3: :barf: :ugh2:

21. BlazinBlazer Guy

see, and when I do drink pop I get caffiene free; I'm allergic to caffiene. I find that (for me) just the natural sugars and acids do enough on their own, let alone the addition of caffiene.

22. BlazinBlazer Guy

have you tried any of the "hydration" or "sports" drinks with flavoring? I immagine they are more healthy than soda and at the same time won't taste like water.

23. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Quite interesting. I find myself with a Dr. Pepper twice during the day (one for lunch and one around 4pm). The water is just in the next machine, so maybe I'll give that a whirl. With exams next week this could help a lot.

24. FOr someone who is working out in the sun, they should drink something like a gallon of water. But 120 oz of water is tough to drink in a day, especially when you have to do other things I find that 60-80 oz is enough and certainly doable.

Water does all sorts of good things, good for your kidneys, allows for more blood, you can concentrate better...

25. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Like gatorade and poweraid? yeah, everytim i drink those i think of watered down kool-aid. I used to drink a lot of kool-aid lemonade, i think i'll start doing that again, i mean, it's mostly water isn't it?