OT! How reliable are Toshiba laptops?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blitzed_24/7, Apr 5, 2006.

1. blitzed_24/7

blitzed_24/7 New Member

Hay guys,

I am looking to buy a simple laptop for when i move to japan. I found this one at futureshop and i am wondering how reliable Toshiba laptops are. My good friend who works in IT has nothing but terrible things to say about them. Its possibly cause the ones he looks after are all old though...

I want to keep it for 3-4 years. I will use it mainly for internet, email, dl'ing tv shows ect, burning DVD's and CD's. Im not so into playing games. Reliability is the most important thing for me.

Thanks OT!

Link to computer

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10070619&catid=22495&logon=&langid=EN

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I've had a Toshiba laptop for 3 years now. The motherboard went bad about 6 months after I had the thing. It would not turn on.

It was still under warranty so I called them and they said it had to be returned to the tech center. They sent a box in the mail, I packaged it up, called UPS to do a pickup with a premade label, then grabbed it and sent it off... The whole thing took about a week from the time I called to the time it was back at my place. Was about as painless as it could be. Great Service.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I had a Portege that was perfect... however, my friend had a Satellite that was pretty much rebuilt, and it still has issues.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

They're not very good but at least they're better than Dell. They have a lot of fan failure/cooling issues. They may have fixed them by now though.

5. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Junk. Bad motherboards, power boards, crappy soldier joints, overheating video cards from bad ventelation, etc. make for a pretty subpar laptop. I work on laptops all day and would never buy a Toshiba made in the last 3 years or so.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

My GF had a terrible experience with hers. First, the backlight on the screen died, about six months after she got it. Then, it started randomly freezing and restarting, just over a year after she got it. Eventually had it replaced on Warranty with an HP.

7. marauder

marauder New Member

PCB went with in a month. That fixed no issues now.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Toshiba is among the worst, imo.

9. benson304

benson304 OT Supporter

Everyone I know with a Toshiba has had major problems.

10. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Get an IBM. My Thinkpad 600E is seven years old, it's been dropped three times, opened up, fucked with, and it works and runs perfectly. Basically it's a compact, lightweight 4.5lb. M1 Abrams with a Pentium II.

IMO I'd stay away from Dell and Toshiba, newer Toshibas are nothing but headaches, newer Dells are nothing but migraines.

I've also worked on the newer Thinkpads and I really love them.

They are by far the best option if you aren't into mobile gaming. Ergonomically, Thinkpads just feel more like desktops, from the keyboards to the mouse buttons, they just don't feel cheap as balls.

Oh yeah and I broke one of my PCMCIA slots, turns out the fuckers are on a riser and I don't need my motherboard replaced!

11. somebodyelse

somebodyelse OT Supporter

I have a toshiba M30. Keyboard problems, cooling problems. I have an A70 from SAIT i'm forced to rent, and I can't count how many problems they have. Including a short on the motherboard, so if you touch the metal speaker covers, the laptop locks up and needs to be power cycled.

JUNK

Never again will I buy a Toshiba. They are like Fords, and yeah, I have one, and yeah, never again...

12. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

No they haven't, fans still go out very easily, and they still don't cool the system very well.

13. Hissho

Hissho Guest

only probs i have ever had with my 6 year old IBM Thinkpad is the batteries dying....expensive little bastards