GUN OT: Help Me w/ My Next Major Gun Decision...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ludeykrus, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

My current gun collection consists of:

-CBC 12 gauge break-action w/ bird hunting barrel
    -Remington semi .22lr
    -Ruger 10/22 .22lr carbine
    -Ruger .357 magnum revolver
    -Ruger .32 police anniversary revolver
    -oldass .22lr revolver
    -2 bb guns for good measure :)

I have been lusting after a Romak-3 dragunov-style rifle in 7.62x54R for a good while now. It is fairly accurate to mid-long range, reliable, based on the AK receiver, runs cheap ammo, and is overall badass. I am also planning on starting to hunt wild boar and deer this coming year, so this would be a good rifle for hunting/sniping/target shooting.

The problem is a pawn shop somewhat near me has a HUGE wall of guns. For the same price as the Romak-3, I could pick up a good Mossberg 500 12 gauge, a Russian SKS, a Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm (glock mags!), and probably another one or two decent guns, possibly a good scoped 30-sized scoped hunting rifle. I may even choose an good auto-pistol instead.

The Romak is something like my dream gun, but going w/ the pawn shop purchase would greatly increase my gun collection, and may be just a bit more practical.

Can anyone talk some sense into me?

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Here goes: the Romak is just a semi-auto stamped RPK with a long barrel.:wtc: You're going to "snipe" with a 3 MOA rifle?:ugh: And wtf is with a Romak being a "dream gun".:squint: Aim a little higher, dude.:wavey: Save your money and eventually find a nice NDM-86, that's much closer to a "real" Drag.:cool:

If your pawn shop is selling Russian SKSs for the same price as a Romak, get the hell out of there!!!:eek4d:

You asked for it :naughty:

Smiley every sentence :mamoru:

3. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Wow, you have low standards when it comes to firearms, just save up your money and buy something nice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  4. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

No, I have cheap realistic goals I set for myself. I don't need the expensive, blingin firearms; I need the ones that get the job done. I have a bud that owns a Romak-3, and I know exactly how they fire and behave. They are not bad rifles, but they're not as accurate as most "long range" rifles. Yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Also, I am still in college, and cannot afford big purchases at the moment. I understand how the Romak-3 is limited; I would be satisfied with the rifle's capabilities, and I love the way it looks.

And to Clingman: They are not selling a SKS for the same price as a Romak ($600, give or take some); I am saying that I can get 4-5 guns at the pawn shop for the same price as the Romak. No fuckin way I'd pay more than $150 for a good SKS!

5. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

If you want an accurate, long range hunting rifle, why not buy a Savage or a used Remington 700? And what the hell is a "blingin" rifle? :ugh:

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Blingin rifle = rifle that's overpriced, yet performs no better, or sometimes worse, than a cheaper rifle. IMO, a great example is the AR-15.

The Romak is a borderline blingin gun, but it has a special place in my heart....and my gun cabinet. I love the original Tiger Dragunov, but the Romak is less than a third the price as the original, and almost shoots as well.

I've seen the Savage and it's a very impressive for its price new. The pawn shop may have one, IIRC. I'd have to check on the Remington, though.

And this is where I am asking for advice: not for ya'll to try to change my mind on my gun selection, but rather to tell me which of the two options you would choose. It's not too hard.

7. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

forget the romak, if you want a long range rifle, and you are as poor as you say you are, get a sniper k31, its an excellent extremely excellent rifle, supposedly if it was produced today, it would cost 2,000 dollars (to make) per unit, of course, now you can buy it for 2-300 dollars from a surplus dealer. If you really want a cheap, long range, 7.62 mm gun, get a surplus m1

8. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I'd look more into buying a reliable, quality firearm than trying to increase how many guns you own. Also, AKs don't make good hunting rifles :hsugh:

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

any cheap surplus M1 is probably going to need a new barrel.

10. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Good god it's hard to get a straight answer on here...

I appreciate the advice, but I know that. I have the ability to pick up some reliable, quality firearms instead of just one decent gun. The Mossberg 500 pump is very reliable, IMO. The Sub2000 is also dead-reliable, and would make a nice trunk-gun that would be great coupled w/ a Glock 9mm pistol. SKS? No comment necessary there.

The Romak is also a proven reliable gun; it's just people don't like the price, as well as the fact that it's marketed as a "sniper rifle" when it was actually a sub-sniper rifle; it was designed to be used as a midrange rifle that would shoot better and farther than a normal combat rifle (7.62x39-based rifle, AK's mostly), but not as far as a good sniper rifle. It is good for what it is; a reliable mid-range gun.

EDIT - I just remembered the pawn shop had 2 or 3 seemingly good condition CETME rifles I had my eyes on. One would make a good addition to my #2 choice.

11. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Get the Sub-2000 and the Mossberg. Then get that good pistol.

12. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

its depends on where you buy it from, there was a site while ago that was selling a bunch of foreign surplus, and they were graded anywhere from non-working to nearly mint

btw, if you have your heart set on buying the romak, why did you come here and ask us?

13. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I just bought a Garand for $500, more cool than a glorified RPK.

If they were selling real SVD's, I would be in line right behind you but I am glad I found out about the Romanian rifles.

14. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

if they were selling real svd's, i would start selling organs, but all they have right now are amazingly expensive kits or pre-bans