A&P OT, help me select the right camera

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Frank N. Beans, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

There are a few things I am looking for in the new camera that I purchase. Most pictures I take are action shots, whether it is on the highway, or at the dragstrip. I need a camera that I can up the shutter speed on for taking a much cleaner, clearer picture. Also it would be nice to be able to take rapid pictures like a regular film camera........is that possible yet in the digital world? I know you can get the 'rapid' option on some cameras, that take 3 burst pictures. If thats all I can get, I definately want that. At the same time though, I want to be able to slow the shutter speed for those good still shots. Another thing I need is zoom. My current camera has ZERO zoom. It will be nice to not have to be right in front of something to take a picture. And my last request should come with any camera.........so I can take GOOD night shots, whether they are low light or high light. My flash sucks grundel on my current cam, so night shots are the suck. A good strong flash that can go 15-20 feet would rock.

I think I might be too picky, but either way I know I am going to have to unload some cash to get the cam I want. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

with thoes requests you are looking into the DSLR cameras
    the Nikon D70 or Canon 20D with a speedflash will do what you want

the D70 will do 3 FPS, if you have it on Jpeg Mode you can shoot at 3FPS untill your CF card is full, it with a lens is liek 1200$

the 20D will do 5 FPS, so its a lil faster then the D70, costs more also around 1600, and the included lens isnt do great

the onboard flashes on these cameras are OK but for good 15-20 foot reach yull need a Speedflash, the canon and Nikon flashes cost 200$+ you can get a vivitar one with less features for like 50$

3. chris002

chris002 Guest

how much are you willing to spend

4. chris002

chris002 Guest

on a different note. does the digital rebel have fps

5. Frank N. Beans

Frank N. Beans I hate BMW's OT Supporter

I am looking to spend under $1000.

6. sony

sony Active Member

A digital rebel and a 75-300 IS should hold you off. Not the greatest body, and not the greatest lens, but it should do what you asked decently for less than a thousand dollars. :hs:

7. TheEvil1

yea 3 FPS IIRC

but it feels like a fisher price toy to me

8. chris002

chris002 Guest

why

9. sony

sony Active Member

Its light and made of plastic. :dunno: If you're used to magnesium bodied heavy pro SLRs, the digital Rebel won't really feel right to you. But if yout oss on a grip, it feels a lot better. :hs:

10. TheEvil1

that and its that guly ass silver, pick it up and a 10D up and you can see the difference yourseld

the D70 is also made of a plastic but it feels 100x more solid then the 300D