OT help me build a budget PC...(with cliffs)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Dec 15, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

OK, i'm going to be honest and say I've got arround 500 to spend on a complete PC (tower only, dont worry about speakers, mouse, keyboard, or monitor).

I might be able to bump that up a bit, thats about it. I'm going to be using it for games (CS/Half life) and I want to be able to play most games out there, NOT at high resolution and best settings, I play stuff at lower to medium settings.

Also will use it for minor photoshoping, and other than that just AIM, web and word processing. I've finally got about 350ish, and I think/ hope I can get the rest as a birthday present.

I'm at ground zero, however I would like to have AMD, and socket 939, and atleast 512MB of ram.

AS far as cases, I'd like something that is simple and plain and functions. I can deal with a clear simple clean side window, but I cant do all of these ailenware wannabees with LEDS all over.

Thanks

CLIFFS: Build me an AMD PC for arround 500 that can handle most games at low resolution and is a good general browser.

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

doesnt matter if you just post one or two parts, just post suggestions. I've got a general idea as far as stuff goes, but I have no idea about the new processors and what mobos are good etc etc.

3. Ty1er

Ty1er Guest

4. NPH

NPH Guest

the new MaximumPC has an article on a budget $300 PC.. they went with Linux for the software, but since your budget is $500, Windows shouldn't be a problem for you.

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks a ton. Thats the processor I was going to use, but I had no idea on mobo, ram and PSU.

Looking at all of the links and totalling it up.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'll make sure to take a look at that too. I'm assuming u can run windows on a computer built for linux, right?

7. NPH

NPH Guest

The computer is pretty decent. It supports 64-bit software. The only reason they went with Linux was to stay within the $300 budget.

8. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

yeah, well i've already got a legal copy of windows XP, so i'll be using that...

And, looking at newegg for processor prices, why is the 3200+ Athalon 64 processor 12 dollars less than the 3000+ Athalong 64 processor?
    Also the 3200+ comes with free three day shipping..

Links
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103537

no rebates, same Venice thingy (want to say core but also dont want to be shut down)

Just wondering. Also the 3000+ has a 1 per customer limit, and the 3200+ has a 20 per customer limit.

And lastly, what "core" (idk, the name) is this
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~550579~Action~Detail.asp

like, venice or what not, isnt one better than the other?

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

10. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter