GUN ot gun crew: thoughts on these?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chansigril, Jul 29, 2006.

1. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

so the antiques roadshow is coming to philly and me n the woman have tickets :)

we've got some pretty good antiques in our family but i've always thought about taking these down with me if the roadshow were to come to town.

the first is a us army issue springfield rifle dated 1861 given to my father by an old indian in rhode island some years back. the second is a long rifle that has been in my family for many generations, i believe it's a pennsylvania kentucky rifle, based on my research i expect that it dates to the early 1800's or late 1700's. i'm having a tough time finding info on this one however. the top of the barrel is marked "j. s. johnston" and the hardware on it is marked "h. e. leman lancaster pa".

so does anybody who knows guns have any ideas or other info about these? any ideas or guesses on value?

basically, do you think they're worth taking to the roadshow or should i go back to the parent's house for some other articles?

also, they will be cleaned with a damp cloth and dried properly before the roadshow, any other info as to care are appreciated. i took these pics when i first pulled em out of storage. more pics are available upon request, as well as any particular area anyone would like a detailed pic of. the guns are downstairs right now. thanks :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

dont clean em at all, just take them as-is

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I once saw an old musket on the road show that was from the late 1700s, and made by a very skilled gunsmith, and they said it was worth up to $75,000.

Hope you are just as lucky :h5:

4. chansigril

chansigril not an og, just a g OT Supporter

well it looks like there are number of the springfield rifles around, they average anywhere from $200-$800 dollars.

i found a very similiar gun to the pa kentucky rifle however that sold for $4800 :bigthumb:

5. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

My dad bought a springfield musket last year for $75. However, it was a barn find, and the stock is dry and grey, and the metal has some rust, but mainly smooth pitting. Definately not in operating condition

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Take quotes at a gunshow with a big grain of salt however. There weren't too many big manufacturers of guns back then, individual gunsmiths were the primary builders, so values could vary wildly. The Trapdoor you should be able to find a value easy enough, but the Kentucky would probably be worth getting professionally appraised.

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Damn, those irons are screaming for some loving care. I almost want to pick one up to restore..

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Those are pretty damn cool.