OT F&N Critique Please

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by bagged, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagged

bagged monsta truck

I know this is kinda long, but Id really appreciate any ideas you guys have.

Never posted in here much but am looking for some input. January of this year i was at 335lbs and decided i was ready for some lifestyle changes. So from January on I gradually made alot of dietary changes and worked on getting my food intake clean but where i would have no problems sustaining the changes forever IE not really a "diet" rather a whole new lifestyle.

In February I bought a new road bike for myself and have been commuting to work everyday it is not pouring rain. Its only 5 miles a day but hey better than nothing right? So between these diet changes and the cycling I was able to get down to 290lbs around September 1 where i plateaued hard.

Around this same time I discovered I have borderline high cholesterol and borderline high bp. 29 years old btw. My doctor seemed to think that I would probably be able to get those down to manageable levels without medication if I worked at it.

SO i took a really good look at my diet and calculated it all out as to what i was getting for food intake. I am right at 1950 calories a day, 40g fat 250g carbs (Alot of fiber though broccoli, etc) 150g protein, Sodium just under 2400mg, cholesterol around 320mg. I normally wouldnt worry alot about the sodium and cholesterol but these will be key for me getting the medical issues locked down.

Around October 1 I decided if i was gonna jumpstart my weight loss again I needed to start hitting the gym not just riding the bike. I started with a light intensity full-body routine I found on BB.com and doing it M-W-F. I would also do 20 minutes elliptical after weights, and just 20 min elliptical on T-T-S. This seemed to work out good for me as it is easy to stick with. I still ride the bike 5 days a week when possible with the weather.

I have been doing this for just over a month now and seems to be working. I am losing right at 1.5 - 2lb a week, which I hope to sustain. Goal weight is about 215.

You guys here seem to be very knowledgeable about this stuff, and I would like to know what I can do to optimize my program. Sometimes the calories seem kinda low for my size, but I havent had to drop any weight or reps, so I dont think I am loosing mad muscle. My goal is not to gain any muscle really at this point, just stick to the fat loss. I allready have a decent muscular build.

ANy ideas?

Thanks for your time.

BTW here is the full body routine I got from BB.com

Floor Crunches – 3x10
    Bench or Chest Press –3x10
    Dumbbell Flys – 3x10
    Lat Pull-downs – 3x10
    Cable Rows – 3x10
    Shoulder Press – 3x10
    Barbell Curls – 3x10
    Tricep Pushdowns – 3x10
    Leg Press – 3x10
    Leg Extensions – 3x10
    Leg Curls – 3x10
    Calf Raises – 3x10

Any ideas?

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'd eat more sources of non-saturated fats, 40g is low.
    Calories look fine.
    That program looks a-okay if your intensity is on par (last rep of last set is very hard to hit).
    Just gotta stick with it and stick to your diet and I'd say you'll get good progress.

edit: dude I'm like 6'0 180 and active and I have borderline high blood pressure and cholesterol. Life is a bitch :rofl:

3. bagged

bagged monsta truck

sorry to dissapoint :)

4. bagged

bagged monsta truck

I had started taking fish oil caps but then i read that they can actually raise your LDL and mine is allready not good. I am still researching other EFA's that wont affect my cholesterol.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Cholesterol is not the only predictor of heart health, and a low fat diet is mostly just hype according to some recent research. Just search for something like "Low fat diets are bad for you" and you may find a few non-crackpot sources to check out

6. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

how do you know? for a overweight fellow? or just thinking.

I came in here to say good work on losing the current weight. Just dont forget to increase the weights your doing to increase strength. You'll appreciate in the end when you dont have to lose the weight and then gain the muscle back.

7. bagged

bagged monsta truck

well i worked in construction for many years so i guess i just feel like i am allready reasonably strong for someone who has not really been working out. i realize i am weaksauce to anybody who actually lifts.

Thanks for the comments everyone

8. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

keep it up! i started my weight loss journey when you did... consistency is key!

i'd say everything is fine, if the full body thing becomes easy for you, or you're looking to change things up, get into lifting? more muscle mass will burn more fat passively = quicker results. if the weightlifting bug hasn't bitten you, then i'd say keep doing what you're doing, 1-2 lbs a week is all you really should be aiming for anyhow. g'luck!

9. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

not saying that at all. I was more making a connection between hockey players not working out legs cause they skate:mamoru: and have "big legs already"

keep it up but i would still recommend lifting hard and you can skim off abit between getting muscle and losing yourweight still

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.