OT F&N - Any of you guys ever had a shoulder injury/pain while lifting?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by heebdawg16, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

I'm not nearly as broly or into lifting as many people on these boards are...I really just started getting into lifting about 4 months ago with regularity. I've lifted on and off for years, but just recently have I gotten motivated to keep it up (3 days on, 1 day off).

Well anyways, starting about 3 weeks ago, I began having a slight pain in my right shoulder when I moved/lifted certain ways. The weird thing is, it didn't bother me during my shoulder lifts, it mostly bothered me while flat benching or doing wide-grip pullups. At first, it wasn't too bad...I would feel slight pain, but would keep lifting, and it never really prevented me from doing anything. Well, after about a week and a half into it, it started to really bother me. It got to the point where I would put 150 on the bar to bench, and just the negative motion on the way down for my first rep would make it hurt so much that I would barely be able to get the bar back up to rerack and stop.

Obviously, at this point, I stopped lifting. I just took a week and a half off of lifting, and literally didn't do anything involving my right arm. I didn't even carry grocery bags with my right arm, didn't sleep on my right side, etc. I was very careful not to bother it. Well, yesterday, I decided to find out if it felt better or not, so I put a real light weight on the bar and benched. I had only about 135 on the bar, and I just did 10 reps in a VERY slow, very controlled motion. My shoulder didn't hurt, but it didn't feel normal either (I could feel a distinct difference between my left and right sides).

As far as I know, I cannot pinpoint any single thing that would cause this kind of problem. I lift with decent technique, I don't strain myself, and I always lift with controlled motions and am careful not to overextend my range of motion. I also cannot figure out why the pain is in my shoulder, but doesn't hurt when I do shoulder lifts...mostly only when I'm doing the type of motion you use when you flat bench and bring your elbows back past your sides.

Any ideas, OT? I might end up just going to get an x-ray or something if this keeps up :wtc:

2. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

I had a slight tear in my AC joint. Had to stop working out for about 3 months while going to the chiropractor every damn day.

It started off as a slight pain and I thought it was just a minor injury from football. So i took vicaden and percs before every game and ibuprofen before i worked out. I think the masking of the pain is what fucked it up.

Id go get the XRay just to make sure. I had to get surgury bro.

3. tkluu

tkluu New Member

do you tuck your elbows when you bench?

4. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

5. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

my left shoulder alway rapes me.

incline + military press = whenever i extend my arms backwards it hurts.

6. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

7. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

what do you mean? go past parallel? I don't really put thought into where my elbows are. I do know that I don't ever jerk the weight around, I take it down smoothly, and then reverse and go back up smoothly, to avoid injury from happening. Apparently thats not enough :wtc:

I usually bring the bar down so it grazes my chest, or comes very close to it.

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

pretty much everyone has fucked up shoulders if they lift long enough, could be a ton of things mine was a torn r/c and it sucks, i now pay more attention to my form and more even development by pairing push/pull etc.

9. SanchoPancho

SanchoPancho New Member

I think I have the same thing. It becomes more of a dull pain than a sharp and sudden one. And it also happens more during non-shoulder specific work outs. What I can attribute to it though is playing recreational football years ago some huge guy hit me in a way that I heard a loud tear in my shoulder. I didn't do anything about it. Then a couple years after that I was doing decline dumbbell presses and the same shoulder just gave out and as my arm went limp and the weight brought it down I heard another tear. So now I get this dull soreness in my shoulder especially if I bring it back too much. Are you sure you never had some injury to your shoulder in the past?

10. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

positive, I've never hurt my shoulder before, and I definitely didn't do anything within the last month or two to aggravate it.

11. TZ

TZ Banned

im pretty sure i had a rotator cuff impingement due to weak scapular retractors. I stopped all pressing movements for two weeks, began doing exercises which strengthened the muscles behind my shoulder and the pain went away. it could have been a strain, but i had all the symptoms of an impingement :dunno:

12. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

QFT. I have micro tear in my rotator cuff from throwing javelin (threw it strictly sidearm in high school because I could throw it further that way) and from predominantly leading with that shoulder in football.

To be honest, for a while I stayed away from dumbbell benching and worked with my S&C coach and as much as the Smith Machine is useless for just about anything, he suggested I use it for a bit to help not only my form but to put on muscle while keeping that shoulder from being isolated. At that same time he had me doing a lot of shoulder exercises, mostly from the cable cross over machine and work that shoulder. After a couple months, I felt a lot better and now I rarely feel the pain. I still have to watch my form a lot, or I will feel the burn.

Surgery would fix it, but it's just not worth it to me right now.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

incline presses bother my shoulders.

I don't do incline.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

as far as benching goes... keep a narrower grip on the bar and see if that helps. Also, for me I get pain in my shoulder while benching if I don't flex the shit out of my lats/back and pull retract my shoulderblades some.... doing that not only made the shoulder pain go away from flat bench but also made my bench #'s go up a little.

15. CPop

CPop New Member

Buy Kelso's shrug book. Work on scapular retraction on every damn exercise except deadlifts. Tuck the elbows. Train smart.

16. ballerman230

ballerman230 just a pale blue dot

Are there any ways I can work my chest while my shoulder is recovering? Pushing exercises and flies strain it too much. My chest is shrinking and the rest of my body is still growing and it looks odd.

17. hellsing

hellsing Member

man i tweaked my r/c about 2 weeks ago.. haven't touched the bench or any military press shit since then. im just focussing on nutrition and legs, and minimal arms.
    Im going to rest my shoulders for another week, and hope for the best.

18. heebdawg16

heebdawg16 New Member

Well i just lifted on my shoulder again for the first time in about a week and a half. Did VERY low weight on flat bench, 115 pounds, and just ran through 10 reps VERY slowly (probably a full 5 seconds in each direction for each rep). I felt no pain while doing it.

HOWEVER, this was on saturday. I slept it off, and today (Sunday), i can feel the pain in my shoulder again. wtf...

Really don't want to take time off work to get this checked out, as I am already taking time off constantly for another health problem (possibly gallbladder failure :wtc:)

Looks like I'll be taking another 2 weeks off of lifting.

19. tkluu

tkluu New Member

shitty vid but only thing i found relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuG2jLVwYlc

see how his elbows dont flare all the way out? he keeps his elbows closer to his body

puts less strain on your shoulders

20. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

You might want to see a doc soon and get an MRI before you really fuck something up. If the MRI is clear, you need to strengthen your rotator cuffs.

21. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

strengthening the scapular stabilizers is more important than the rotator cuff

22. azucarpapi

azucarpapi OT Supporter

How do you do that? I have been tucking my elbows and controlling how far the bar comes down, and it is far better than it was before but by the time I get to the end of chest/back workout my left shoulder is a different tired than my right one.

23. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

I could have said "strengthen your scapular stabilizers" and you would have said rotator cuff was more important :rolleyes:

Gool 'ol Ceaze :rofl:

24. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

no, if you had said that, i would have said werd.

25. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

if only we had a time machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.