OT double check my routine please

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by dan avoN7, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I worked out a fair amount near the end of highschool in a weight training class but after that I stopped. Now i'm pretty motivated to get back into things and needed some help on a routine to make sure I'm working out enough in some areas, not overworking others, resting enough, etc...

Main goal : build mass so I look good and in shape. get in shape for sports. I am currently 6'3" 190lbs

for equipment I have a bench (adjustable decline/incline)
    db's (max db is only 30lbs though)
    straight bar and a curl bar
    Elliptical Machine
    For the last month I've been doing the following

Mon.
    Bench (3 sets of 5)
    Bicep Curls (3 sets of 5)
    Lateral Raise (3 sets of 5)
    Elliptical machine (30 minutes)

Tues.
    Skull Crusher Triceps (3 sets of 7)
    Shoulder Press (3 sets of 5)
    Bent over row (3 sets of 7)

Wed.
    Bench (3 sets of 5)

Thursday
    Skull Crusher Triceps (3 sets of 7)
    Shoulder Press (3 sets of 5)
    Bent over row (3 sets of 7)

Fri.
    rest

Sat.
    Bench (3 sets of 5)

Sun.
    rest

If anyone has any suggestions on what to add to this or if i should change it up a bit please let me know.

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Please please please read the stickies.

There's so much wrong with your routine but before everyone jumps on you, check over the stickies and some of the sample routines listed in the archives.

3. callmejim

callmejim OT Supporter

nice routine, keep it up for 3 months and you'll be ripped like shit.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you're routine is all sorts of fucked up.

You're working triceps and bi's everyday, not doing anything for legs or midsection (imperitive to both athleticism and apperance), and you're not doing enough weight or reps to meet your goals.

Get better equipment and read the stickies.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  5. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

yeah, no legs ftl.

6. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

if you insist on making your own routine, search t-nation for an article by Bill Hartman (i think) that explains how to make one.

7. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i heard jay cutler started out doing elipticals and it helped him squat over 800

8. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

he didn't ask for your sarcasm. he wanted help. :hsugh:

9. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Scrap that shit completely and pick a well-known routine.

10. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

cavefish - will do. thanks

extrem3z - uh huh

Skeletor - yea i figured i was doing wrong days and working the same groups twice in some of the lifts. I don't think i mentioned how much I was lifting so how am I lifting too little of weight???

Chaotic Reality - legs I was holding off on lifting at home as I would prefer to use a leg press rack or something like that. Dead lifts and other squats are really hurting my back. (I'm doing them correct but have a bad disk in my lower back that I'm getting treated on soon) Thats why for legs I'm mostly doing alot of up hill biking/ellip machine.

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

he doesn't have any articles on t-nation

12. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I don't insist on making my own routine. it is just what I put together with the equipment i had in my garage. I'll be getting a gym membership next year but for the time being I would like to get a base platform to start out on and then when I hit the gym I can do some serious workouts. The reason I'm not getting the gym membership now is because it's winter and I'll be skiiing almost every weekend.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I think if your dumbells only go up to 30 lbs then it's not enough weight. If you can buy more weight that would be a big help, or just a gym membership would be perfect. It sounds like your heart is in the right place and you're trying, so once you get the right equipment I think you will meet your goals. In the meantime if you can't afford a gym membership or more weights, you could still read up about routines and maybe take some of the theory of them and apply to other workouts.

For example, if you see a routine that has you doing chest and triceps and shoulders one day, and then the second day is back, biceps, and legs, and the third is midsection/rest, you could take that plan and just apply your available workouts to it.

Day one you could keep the chest press, add pushups, dips, tricep extensions, and shoulder press.. and of course you could add in cardio

Day 2 you could do some pullups, chinups, front squats and deadlifts (won't feel like much with only 60 lbs total, but it's better than nothing)

Day 3 you could do leg raises, crunches, and cardio again.

The best thing you can do is learn about what muscles are worked in each exercise (and the names of the muscles) and some of the basics of working out. You shouldn't work the same muscle twice within 48 hours (so if you do bench press on monday, which works chest and triceps, you shouldn't do skullcrushers on tuesday, because that's working triceps two days in a row), you should eat a lot of protein to help your muscles recover and grow, etc. You've got the motivation, all you need is the know-how and you'll do great.

14. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

:o

15. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Skeletor - Thanks for the advice, i'll split up the days so i'm not hitting the same parts two days in a row. I have more than 60lbs total weights though, I have plates and other weights that I can put on a bar to use. The actual dumbells though I only have up to 30lbs, but for anything heavier I just use a bar and stack the plates on it.

16. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Well that changes everything.

If you don't have a squat rack you won't be able to do very heavy backsquats, but you can still do front squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead squats, and a shitload of lifts to build you a good base.

18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You could still use the DB or the BB and do some single-leg work (split squat, single-leg deadlift, lunges, etc).

19. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yep, thats what i've basically been doing. I'll just look up some routines and then follow them.

Here's a picture of the main stuff i have, i usually do the bars for the heavier stuff then the dumbells for lateral raises, etc..

any specific routines that tend to work well for people? Like I said, i'm 6'3" 190, so pretty tall and lengthy. Back when I did physical therapy for an injury the guy said I'd never show huge muscles because I am pretty lengthy but I want to see a nice subtle change.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.