OT Database people, Nuke + phpbb question(s)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, May 27, 2006.

1. MP

MP New Member

okay so I installed phpnuke (latest version) and it came w/ phpbb 2.xxx.

My question is I want to have the forums on another domain but keep the same database. For example if a user signs up on the phpnuke page they will be able to post / read the forums on another domain name without having to register twice and vise versus. The sites are all on the same server w/ the same ip (not sure if that would matter).

I haven't looked into how to do this or what will be involved so I figured I would ask here to see if anybody has any suggestions on where to look, if it's even possible, or any help ya'll could offer.

thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Using phpNuke is like pleading for your site to get hacked.

But if you're insistent on using phpNuke... it's really a matter of your bridge between phpBB and your Nuke user accounts. As long as your bridge is set up to not be site specific it should work just fine as long as you point to the correct database. I haven't used phpNuke and phpBB together so I'm not sure how it's set up. I'm pretty sure they have bridges to allow you to link two phpNuke sites together as far as users are concerned. An easy fix would probably be installing Nuke on both and linking the databases. Just have your domain point to your forum and bypass the nuke homepage. For example... www.yoursite.com/forum Have that be your default folder when people are at yoursite.com. If you're looking to get this done pro (Which I doubt because most phpNuke sites look anything but Pro), you might have to find yourself a patch, hack, mod, add-on, whatever the fuck they call it. If that don't work you may have to edit some core files of the phpNuke & phpBB and/or the bridge.

Again, I haven't used this software in god knows how long and never together so I really don't know how it's set-up. I just felt bad that no one has responded yet.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

*VERY* easy. you can symlink the wwwroot directory to the second domain if you want the forums to be a carbon-copy. Otherwise, install a seperate copy of phpBB, but during it's configuration, set it to use the same database settings as the other copy.

4. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Will the bridge allow the users of the second site to access the Nuke features of the first site? A lot of these bridges are pretty half assed. And if you share the database settings you're sharing the posts/forum settings as well.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

symlink would. Otherwise, no.

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Genius, pure genius.

7. MP

MP New Member