OT Car Crew, Question!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Azazel28, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Well OT I have a 2002 Mit Lancer and I'm looking into getting replacement tires for my car. I've been driving on 18' rims 215/35/18 for the past few years, however it has become quite costly and finally a few days ago I hit a bump in the road and bent one of my rims. I decided it is time to replace all of my rims.

My problem is I only get about 8'000-12'000 miles for the 18' rims (at 130-150 dollars a tire it was cost me about 600-700 dollars a year to upkeep these tires, yes I drive about 20'000 a year). I was wondering if I went down to a 205/45/17 would it up the total mileage of my tires, so I could be a little more cost effective. I think I was a little to excited when I purchased these rims and tires a few years back that I didn't think about the added cost of having such large rims for such a small wheel well.

Any help would be appreciated, suggestions on tires would be a plus too.

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The UTOG rating of the tires you buy will tell you more about the tread life than anything else. The higher the number, the harder the tire, which means more miles but less grip.