OT Boxers: Please help me set up a workout routine!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ChiNkA KeGuDi, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My friends and I decided to form a boxing club, and I plan to take it seriously. I'm a pretty skinny kid (130 lbs), and I'm gonna be taking on 150-lb guys. It's pretty much impossible to beat them strength-wise, so I wanna work on my speed (dodging, ducking, dashing) and build up my strength to a point where I can manage to knock them down if I have an opening.

So I basically wanna focus on attaining unparalled speed in the ring and just some exercises to build strength (upperbody and arm). Think anyone can help me out? Thanks a lot.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Regardless, you need to lift weights. You should try to idolize Muhammed Ali. He was 215+ and was still pretty much the fastest boxer around.

If you are serious about becoming a skilled boxer, then you will take the time to gain weight. Start eating more, lift weights, and continue doing speed training while you're doing all this.

If not, I promise you will go nowhere.

3. Larry Lex

Larry Lex New Member

Um, a boxing club or a fight club? Do you have any experience in the ring (doesn't sound like it). Sounds more like a bunch of fools brawling than actually boxing to me...But yeah you'll be at a disadvantage weight-wise but the biggest, strongest guys arent necessarily the hardest hitters - look at bernard hopkins's build. Punching power doesn't have much to do with upperbody and arm strength, it's all in your legs, hips, and technique. The only way you'll get ring speed is really by practicing - its all anticipation. You get fast by reacting to the other guy and being able to see the punches coming, and the only way you'll develop that is through sparring. I'd suggest you learn proper technique and stance, try to find a gym or befriend a boxer to show you. At worst, get a book and learn in front of a mirror. But realistically, you cant go in there thinking that by running a lot and lifting a lot of weights that you'll be a quick smart fighter, because it doesnt work like that. You'll get hit by an easy three punch combination that you never saw coming, get stunned, and then get hit by another.

Tips:
    1) Learn the basics and shadowbox your ass off.
    2) Drill defense: have your friend throw light punches at you while you parry and slip them. You don't get to hit back... ask him to throw harder ones as you progress.
    3) Build your wind: Typical boxer's routine - Run a quick 3 miles one day, run up and down hills for 30 mins the next day, run sprints the next, repeat.
    4) Lifting: Squats, one-arm snatch, deadlift... you can throw in some other basic upper body stuff like bench press and the upright row (many pro's swear by the upright row, dunno why). George Foreman also said that strong triceps were the key to a quick, strong jab, many disagree though.

I strongly advise you go to a gym, get your amateur license, and fight sanctioned matches if you really wanna box though. Good luck anyways.

4. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

yep

5. Paul'86

Paul'86 New Member

You need strong legs to box--Muhammed Ali, supposedly, had the strongest legs in boxing too...

Your triceps and deltoids are important when it comes to fast and powerful punches.

Shadow box (buy weighted shadow boxing gloves).

Why not join a boxing club, instead?

Learn the correct punching technique. It is not as simple as balling up your fists and throwing a punch--if you have a poor technique you could break: your fingers, your knuckles, or your wrist. Not only learn how to form a perfect fist, but how to punch (In my gym I see too many hard lads punch the punchbag with a swim-like action :wtf:) Also, learn the correct stance.

Do sprints, ladder sprints, play a sport that makes you quick on your feet (Racket ball?)

Gain endurance--don't be Kimbo... you may be the baddest motherfucker in the room, but if you're unfit, you'll get knocked the fuck out.

6. OK I see I see, so strength is really important after all.

Can anyone please explain what "Squats, one-arm snatch, deadlift" and "upright row" are? Thanks.

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Can you not use google?

8. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

your promise is bullshit. Why are you telling him to idolize Ali? He was a Heavyweight and naturally talented. WHy dont u tell him to idolize Roy Jones Jr whille ur at it. These guys and naturally talented with speed and reflexes, u cant learn it what they where given.

You dont need to hit the weights at all. Just do tons of pushups, pullups, situps, and dips for strength training. For ur legs just do lots of roadwork and plyometric jumps.

Dont worry about gaining weight. You can fight as a lightweight.

As for gaining hand speed practice shadowboxing with 1 lbs weights in ur hands. And dont forget about the most important speed of all. FOOT Speed!
    u can have the fastest hands around, but if u cant get in and out, pivot and side step u might as well as have hands the weight a 100 lbs.

9. joy division

joy division New Member

Don't worry about speed or power until you know all the basics and have great form. Otherwise you are just another idiot who runs into the gym and hits the bag on the first day...

10. Bambamlatino

Bambamlatino This is my girl and no you can not have her

Why don't you join a boxing gym? or a place where they can teach the basics of boxing instead of asking people online before you hurt yourself.

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You're full of shit, and you know nothing about boxing or any combat sports. Without lifting weights, he will barely be strong enough to throw knockout punches.

Those guys were naturally talented were they? They spent 8+ hours a day in the gym practicing. I'm sorry, but they worked for what they had.

Get some experience here on Off Topic before you come in here spewing bullshit advice like that. He needs to lift weights.

12. Larry Lex

Larry Lex New Member

Ah, looks like we got ourselves a good ol fashioned weight-lifting vs bodyweights debate for fight-sport conditioning. Frank Shamrock supposedly never touched a weight, just did bodyweight squats, pushups, chins, dips, plyos, shit like that and i think he's an alright fighter. Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, and most other old school fighters ignored weights and all of them had KO power. On the other hand, Evander Holyfield's career really took off after he bulked up to heavyweight from being cruiser, a main part of that being on an awesome lifting program supervised by Lee Haney. Then you got Kostya Tszuyu, another hard hitter who lifts.

Personally, when I boxed light-heavyweight, I was pretty big on lifting and it seemed like the more I could deadlift, the harder I hit. But for the past few months, I've cut down to super-middle and haven't done shit but train boxing, perform dips, clap pushups, chins, and medicine ball training and my coach has commented on my punches having more 'snap' and 'bite' than before. So really, this debate will never end.

For the sake of this kid though, I suggest he stick to the basics. Join a boxing gym to learn good form, run his ass off outside the gym, perform basic lifts like the squat, deadlift, one-arm snatch, bench press, and when he's ready, go spar (most important). The only way to become a boxer is to box. You can run, lift, skip rope all you want, come to internet message boards to read our bullshit all you want, but all that goes flying out the window once you get hit for the first time and you suddenly realize that you aint got a clue.

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

He's trying to start what is basically an underground boxing club. Don't even give him any advice

14. Thanks for the advice guys. It'll help a lot.

15. :hsugh:

16. joy division

joy division New Member

:hsugh:

17. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Lifting weights has nothing to do with knockout punches. U must be new to the game, shit ive been boxing for a year.

Knockout punches comes from technique dummy. U ever hear of leverage. Torquing ur hips with ur punches and pivoting of the feet (depending of hooks or crosses) result in powerful punches.

U ever seen Diego Corrales? the guy is scrany as shit but can punch harder than a mack truck.

Oh and about Ali and JOnes, of course they trained hard:rolleyes: , im not denying that, but their incredible speed, and reflexes were God given.

Judging on ur post i can see clearly that u are a MMA guy. SO u must be a typical meat head who knows everything about fighting. U know, since its the ultimate combat sport and all:rolleyes:

18. joy division

joy division New Member

Despite your horrible grammerrrs and spelling, I would agree with the majority of your post. I know professional boxers who won't even touch weights...that doesn't mean that they don't work out- all bodyweight excercises, medicine balls, some small dumb bells...

Technique > power.

19. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Hey, Im not writing an essay here. But i know where ur coming from.:p

20. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yes, stereotype me more please.

Anyways, I agree with most of the stuff you said, but you shouldn't advise people not to lift weights. You don't always need to lift weights, but most people do.

And no, their speed was not God-given. Yes, they were naturally a little faster than the average bear, but their speed came through training.

21. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

they swear by the upright row because it helps with the back muscles that help to throw the punch

22. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

I have to dissagree with u again. Their speed was NOT a little faster, it was much faster than other pro boxers. Their hand speed was not built in the gym, im sure it did help, but they were born with that extraordinary speed.:fawk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.