OT BMW e36 M3 Crew - Need help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by $entenza, Apr 3, 2007.

1. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    Ok here's the deal:

My friend and I are planning to make a track/project car for mostly track use.. For a while now we've been looking at what car's would be a good base to start with.. we've toyed with the idea of a Lotus Elise, Nsx and even an Rx-7 but finally we've decided to go with a 1994 E36 M3.

Yes, I know it's not the 3.2 but we need a solid block that we can mod and that can take a good beating. We don't want to start playing around with a double-vanos and what have you.. just something simple.. our idea is to somewhat emulate EVO magazine's project M3 - Ringmaster... whereby they took an early E36 and made it track worthy.. (by that i mean a sub 8:00 minute car on the Nordschleiffe..)

I need all the advice i can get.. where i should do my research... what sites i should look at, what engine mods we can expect to be doing.. how much this may cost us.. (estimate)..

we're not sure if we should go down the forced induction road.. but other than the engine.. we want to strip the interior.. change suspension, brakes, reinforce the gearbox (or change it completely).

any advice or help is more than welcome.. thank you in advance..

2. Section8

Section8 .

you need naws. two bottles. the big ones.

3. Balzz

Balzz N54 Elitist OT Supporter

You need cock, and lots of it.

4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Sounds pretty retarded. I assume you have minimal track experience this I deduct by the fact that you're asking the questions that you are asking. The M3 is extremely track worth out of the box, however if you're dreaming of sick ring times you better invest your money in your driving skills.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, mod the driver not the car.

PS for any BMW related questions (especially 3 series) there is no better resource than bimmerforums.com
    PSS I DD and track a 97 M3 myself.

5. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I fail to see how coming out and flaming me is going to benefit anyone.. You can voice your opinion, but from there to go and insult someone I don't see the point quite frankly. The reason I'm asking questions is because I am new to Bimmers, thus I was hoping to feed off the years of experience someone like you would have amassed by tracking such a car.. I want to beleive in the cammaraderie that OT has to offer..but your response is that of an adolescent n00b on the offtopic forum.

More to the point. I was a semi-professional Kart racer in my teens, I've done more mountain specials in a rally car than I can remember and my friend is currently racing the European Ferrari Challenge (F430) so don't pretend to know anything. :mamoru:

P.S simply put, I'll put a second in u're face everylap driving with my kneecaps..;)

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

and you sound pretty much filled with faggotry

gg

7. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I would just do coilovers, ligther wheels replace all the bearings,tierods, bushings for the suspention add a nice oil pan if the eruo spec M3s have a starvation problem. Throw a cage in it and call it a day. The 1994 Euro M came with the 289HP motor and the tranny on those things are very strong. Might want to consider gearing it a little lower for track events. But for a good track car I would not Boost the motor. But for the same amount of money maybe a little less I would build a Evolution 8-9 race car.

8. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

werd.. engine mods comes last in our budget.. just want to see what our options are if we do go down that road. Been looking at the Twin Screw Supercharger.. but yeah.. suspension, brakes, light engine mods and rims is first on the list..

9. ChosenGSR

wanna buttsecks? :naughty:

10. ChosenGSR

it's not serious buddy :hsugh: out of every 100 million times this type of thread starts up on any forum 99 out of those 100 are boy racers who want to put together a sick car with minimal driving experience. woopty doo, I got this one wrong :rolleyes:

Yes you could probably put miles on me with eyes closed, I'm am at 10 HPDE days behind my belt.

11. Cachee0

Just for buget I would just get the car stip it out replace everything warn. Add a lighter race seat and go almost stock. They are wonderfull cars I never had brake fade on my e36 M3 even on the track with a AA turbo kit installed. I had everything stock except I replace the shocks. Stock wheels stock brakes full interier.

12. loonibab325i

loonibab325i New Member

I wouldn't go down the F/I road just because the reliability, I'm sure a fine tune, better cams, and maybe a stroke would do you wonders. Since this is going to be a track car i'd strip everything out, A/C, carpet, seats, sound deadining material.. anything that doesn't help you drive. The first thing I would do is get a good coilover setup, some nice beefy rims w/ good gripping tires. I heard the Bimmerforum track section is very good, i'd go and ask them more about it.. I don't know much about track use, although I do autoX mine very chance I get.

13. ChosenGSR

I agree with everything you're saying, except that stock brakes will NOT be enough depending on the track. VIR for example will definitely overheat your pads and warp your rotors. I would suggest a good set of track pads and high temperature brake fluid before going to the track.

14. Cachee0

I agree I ment stock hardware, calipers, rotors. I would do SS lines and pads for sure.

15. Cachee0

Even a done right built motor is spendy. These cars also handle and rotate better with the same size wheels/tire front and back. My 95 with 235 on 7.5 was the shit my 99 with 245/40/17-225/45/17 could not touch it. Understeered way to much.

16. ChosenGSR

I went from a staggered setup to 235 all around and I am :hs: still trying to adjust. Power oversteer is just a throttle blip away. :hsd:

17. Cachee0

Ya but it's so controable My 412whp turbo M was alot of fun on 235 I use to scare every girl that ever took a ride with me. My dad wipped out in that car he kept on seeing the traction control light coming on and thought somthing was wrong and ended up turning it off.:rofl: He did not hit anything but got home and said to me damn you need much bigger tires in the rear instead of those echono box tires you have.

wana see some pics

My 95
    [​IMG]
    My 99 Z3 Excellent car first brand new car for me
    [​IMG]
    My 99 M3 some mods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Cachee0

Oh and I'm picking up my 01 M3 Vert on Monday.

19. ChosenGSR

ibitblowsup

/typicalotresponce

:fawk:

good lookin pics

20. Cachee0

Give me a good reason to tow the car to Mami and vist Carl and Fred at Activeautowerks.:hsugh: