OT ATV owners *n00b*

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mf101, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mf101

mf101 Guest

I'm considering the purchase of an ATV or two to accommodate my Jeep wheelin adventures, but not really sure what to go with. I like the Yamaha Raptor and to step down a bit, maybe the YZF450.

What do some of you have? How do you like them?

Should I stick with a racing type quad or go with some a little tougher like a 4x4?

I'd like to do some muddin but also racing around in the dirt would own. At the same time, it might be nice to use the thing as a snowplow or tow shit every now and then :dunno:

2. mf101

mf101 Guest

[​IMG]

mmmm raptor

3. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

I've always liked warriors :dunno:

4x4's suck unless you're looking to do work with it like plow your driveway and tow stuff.

4. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

I've got a blaster. i beat the shit out of it, and it hasnt broken yet :wiggle:

got a KILLER deal at a public auction, couldnt turn it down.

5. mf101

mf101 Guest

6. mf101

mf101 Guest

Yeah they have a warrior at the local dealer with those dual-lights on the front, it's kinda cool, but small engine.

Are the 4x4s big and slower than shit? :wtc:

7. Downhillin1

Downhillin1 Guest

I have a ds650 that laughs at Crapters and Sheez. What kind of terrain will you mostly be using it on?

8. mf101

mf101 Guest

Man I know, I can get two blasters for the price of one raptor :o

9. mf101

mf101 Guest

rolling hills, dirt, creeks, mud where possible.

I'd like to be able to go fast and jump that's why I'm looking at something like the 450 or raptor.

10. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

im talkin $300 for a slightly used '99 with under 20 hours that started on the first kick :o

11. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

yup. :hs:

12. Freemans30th

Freemans30th Guest

I have a 98 warrior and love it I just bought an 04 grizzly and love it also you can still keep up pretty good with everyone in the woods because you can take it in and out of 4wd but if you come up on some mud or a steep climb you can put it in 4x4 and take off.

13. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

i don't have one, but if i did i'd get a raptor. my friends always let me ride theirs and i like teh raptor the best :yum:

14. mf101

mf101 Guest

sweet :bigthumb:

15. mf101

mf101 Guest

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

16. Downhillin1

Downhillin1 Guest

How much do you weigh? How tall are you?

The raptor sits very tall for an ATV. Its light and fairly nimble even with its size. You will prolly wanna get wheel spaders if you go with that one to offset how tall it sits.

The new Yammy 450 has some issues .... Great bike but the motor was made for a 2 wheeler. The parts in side are a bit small and subject to breakage due to the added weight of the four wheeler. The only thing that was really changed in the motor was the gears. The other issue with it is the front lower A-arms are week. I have seen several of them bend like cardboard tubes. That can easily be remedied with aftermarket A-amrs.

You could also hold out for the Hond that is coming out as well. I have heard good things about these but as with any first year run on things there is room for a lot of errors and bugs that will need to be worked out.

17. Freemans30th

Freemans30th Guest

yeah my buddy as a raptor and they put a diffirent gear in his and it really helped it in the woods for climbing and stuff and it will still haul.

18. mf101

mf101 Guest

hell yeah, I'm thinking my Ford F150 + Jeep + Raptor = ultimate off-road experience

I'm tired of fucking around :bowdown: :x:

19. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

use the F150 to tow the jeep and ATV around :big grin:

20. mf101

mf101 Guest

I'm 6'1 190 or so. I like the height of the Raptor, that's why I lean towards it. It is a big summa bitch though but looks badass :o

21. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

i told ya, killer deal :o

22. Remington

Remington OT Supporter

Wolverine with a Warn424 kit.

23. mf101

mf101 Guest

exactly, load the ATV in the back of the truck and have the jeep on a trailer. one way or another I'm gettin home :x: :o

24. mf101

mf101 Guest

I never find shit like that. I have to pay full price for EVERYTHING. :wtc:

25. IDMO

IDMO OT Supporter

squish a dirtbike in the truck bed and you'll never have to worry about getting stranded :eek3: